1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB1 - SB2 Pickguard Help

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by BassJunkie730, Sep 29, 2009.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Greetings!

I got my 1985 SB1 back from the "cleaners" - the repair shop and it turns out that the pickguard is NOT stock.

After looking at other vintage examples - it seems the previous owner just slapped a Fender Precision Guard on and shaved back the bottom.

I'm looking to send a REAL G&L SB1 or SB2 pickguard template to Sharp Concepts for reproduction.

These guys make metal pickguards - and I think all of use could benefit from having an aftermarket option for anodized, diamond plate, and who knows - maybe even a crackle repro (though I doubt it)

They offer a rusted steel finish that really has my interest piqued.

So if ANY one is interested in lending an SB1 or SB2 pickguard so that I can make a quick template and send it off to Sharp Concepts, I would be very grateful.

I assume that the SB1 and SB2 pickguards are interchangeable in both shape and hole locations. AND that they have remained unchanged through their tenure of use at G&L.

Please PM me if you have an extra guard - or would even be willing to remove your pickguard for a week.

I'll pay for priority shipping to Brooklyn and back to you.

thanks

Michael

PS. if someone is local - that's even better

2. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    As noted on the Chandler site referenced below, pre-1994 SB-1 models use a different template than the more recent ones:

http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html

Chandler is the company that supplies the OEM pickguards for G&L. I've ordered from them a couple of times, and they definitely seem to know what they're doing. Unfortunately, they don't appear to work with the materials you're after.

Incidentally, the '85 SB-1 came with a single-ply matte black pickguard (later--sometime in '86, I think, this was changed to the crinkle black aluminum). Chandler's option #28 on their materials page is pretty much a direct replacement. Just FYI.

Good luck. Whatever you do, make sure the example you're working from is pre-1994. Wish I could tell you exactly what the differences are, but no dice.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I just emailed Chandler to see if they would simply email a full size PDF template to Sharp Concepts given the fact that Chandler does not work with metal materials at all and Sharp ONLY deals in metal materials.

In fact it would be awesome to have all G&L pickguards available from Sharp Concepts since I'm sure there are a few of you that would love an anodized gold aluminum pickguard for your sunburst and maple SBs!