1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB2 Neck

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Quadzilla, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a really nice SB2. It has a 1.5" nut and the neck feels very "Jazzish". So what "number" neck is this? Bad news is I have to sell her as I just bought another F-Bass, but I've been curious since getting her as to what "number" neck is on her.

Thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It comes standard with the #8, which is 1.5" nut width and 12" fretboard radius, and will have that unless it was special ordered with the #6, which is 1.5" nut and 7.5" radius.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

If it's a 3-bolt neck then most likely it's a #6 (1.5" nut width, 7.5" fretboard radius), if it's a 6-bolt neck then most likely it's a #8 (1.5" nut width, 12" fretboard radius). It was only recently the SB-2 changed from using the #6 as the default neck to the #8.

To really know you'd have to check the curvature of the fretboard or pull the neck and see if it has the number written on it. I like both the #6 and #8 (slight #6 preference) and don't find much difference between them although the #6s seem a bit thicker front-to-back to me.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    IIRC (and I prolly don't) I think my early Tribute SB2 has a four bolt neck?

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Yep, the Korean Tribbys have 4-bolts and are #8

[​IMG]

The blue back is my fretless SB-2 ordered new in '06 (but with a #6 neck instead of the default #8), the red back is my Korean Tribute SB-2 (#8 neck) and the white is a 90s SB-2 I don't have any more that had the standard-for-the-time #6 neck.

I haven't seen one of the new Indonesion Tribute SB-2s yet so I don't know what they've got for neck bolts.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

It's an older 3-bolt (with micro-tilt) and 1.5" nut, so she's probably a #6 like you said. Thanks man!

7. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand

Can anyone provide an update to this for the new Indonesian Tribute SB-2s ? What type of bolt config do they have, and more important to me is do thay have a #8 neck ?

My L-2000 with a #8 is the best playing neck I have ever had. I have a several year old USA SB-2 with what I think is a #6 neck that is just a bit too thick for my tastes, especially when compared to the #8. Was thinking of trying one of the new Tributes, or waiting for a used USA SB-2 with a #8 to surface (they seem rare on the used market ....)

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    4 [​IMG]

I tried them at NAMM and the necks are skinny. I like my SB-2, JB-2 and BABP LE with narrow but beefy necks. The SB-2 Tribby is skinnier.

Jim