1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB2 pup volume question

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have noticed that when I raise the volume on the single coil, the overall output of the bass seems to decrease. Is this abnormal?

2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Is it the actual output level or just that it starts to thin out the bass dramatically in the last 20% of the pot travel?

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    hmmm, could be a thin out. But it seems quieter.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In my experience, when I raise the single coil's volume, the tone thins out, definition increases, and the output drops during the last portion of travel. I'd say 20% is about right. Until then, its effect on the overal tone is subtle. This is really no different from my Fender Jazz basses. They have the most output with the bridge pickup rolled off about 25% to that fat, extra growly spot. I don't know if this is impedence interactions between the pickups, frequency cancellation, or both.

5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    My sb-2 trib does the same thing. I think it's the way it is. I never wind the bridge pickup full on anyway.

6. As far as I know (from the fellow TBLers), SB-2 bridge pickup has lower output. It was not intended to be soloed, just to add color to the P pickup. Its volume knob in fact serves as a tone knob.