1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SB2 sound clips?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by lastminute, Apr 9, 2009.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Anyone have a set of soundclips that showcases all the different sounds to be made through different volume blends?

2. +1! I would also love to hear some clips. I'd also like to hear an SB-2 (and/or L2k) trying to get close to a P-style thump.

3. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
  4. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    another one:

(not me)

5. Thanks for the clip, I now understand when people describe the sound as "agressive".

Do they go deeper? Like, more bass? Or is that it?

Thanks!

John

6. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well, your preamp and/or amp will obviously have a lot to do with it, but generally speaking when I want to tone down the SB-2 I dial the split-coil volume back.

Folks unfamiliar with G&L (and the SB-2 in particular) might find this an odd tone-shaping technique, but the fact is that the G&L's MFD pickups (currently used on all bass models except the JB-2) are some of the hottest passive pickups around.

Despite the lack of a tone knob, the SB-2 can pretty well cop that vintage P sound if you experiment with volume levels.

Also, I've owned 2 SB-2 basses--one alder/rosewood combo and one ash/maple. The one with the rosewood board has a much mellower tone, which I personally prefer. So it's worth playing a few different examples, assuming you can get your hands on more than one.

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    These sound clips really aren't accurate in my experience. Not only does Youtube alter audio quality and traits, but we don't know how the pickups are set. If the bridge is dialed in you can get quite a honky jazz bridge tone with a lot of upper mids. But it also can go thick and low mid heavy with just the split coil on at mid volume. Point is don't make a judgement on youtube clips. The SB-2 can't be nailed down to just one tone. It has some veratility.

8. Thanks for the info, guys, I appreciate it!

John