1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB2 String Choices

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by GaryLC, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Hi guys,

I've been using DR High Beams for a long time on all my basses, it's time for something different....what do you folks use on your SB2's, and why? I generally like light gauge, .045 - .100 or so......

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've been using GHS Boomers. They produced excellent results with my L-1500 due to their slightly muted high end, and I figured they would be good on the SB-2. They have high tension relative to some other strings (e.g., Dean Markley Blue Steels, Fender Super Bass), which allows low action without buzz. Feel wise, I'd probably prefer less tension, but these are fine. I think they produce a solid, balanced tone on the SB-2, so I'm happy with them. Nevertheless, I'm itching to try some halfrounds or brighter sounding flats like D'Addario Chromes.

3. Fender 55-105 flats. Welcome to thump city. My sb-2 sounds like an upright bass beefed up on steroids.

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    DR Lo-Riders. Or DM Blue Steels if I'm feeling angry.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use DA XL170's on about everything.
    When I run flats, I use LaBella 760FL.

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

When I'm feeling "round" I use SIT Silencers (compression wound)

and when I'm feeling "flat" I use SIT Power Flats (groundwounds)

The Silencers give me most of the roundwound growl and snap but with less finger noise from the compression winding. The Power Flats give me more thump but still with some life to 'em. The Power Flats start out a little "sticky" and play into a very slick feel. Cheap strings made in Ohio, they are all right by me.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SIT powerwound nickel used to be G&L original equipment, now they use DA XL170's, I think.

8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I used to use High Beams, but switched to TI Flats a few years back and dig em plenty. I use my StingRay5 when I want round wound tone, though.

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Don't have an SB-2, but I was really blown away by Fender 7250s 45-100 on a P bass with a maple board. Rich mids and highes with a defined bottom.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I've been using TI JazzFlats on both my SB1 and SB2. I swear they were made for these basses!

I'm still trying to figure out which rounds to throw on my L2000. I love DR SS Lowriders, but hate what they've done to my Jazz bass' frets over the years. I'm super intrigued by the TI Jazz Rounds, and will throw a set of those on the L2000 soon.

Ljazz

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I couldn't wait to get the D'addario XLs off my SB2 and slap on a set of TI Jazz Flats!
    The TIs bring a more percussive punch to the table all the while preserving the high end and note articulation that I used to think was the sole providence of roundwounds.

Kim

The L2K is too new to me to think about strings yet-I'll just run the XLs for awhile and see...

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL

Let us know what you think of the Jazz Rounds!

Kim

13. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I will!!!

And if you seen some of my other posts, you'll see I'm not DA fan at all...... so, IMO, good call taking the XL's off.

They have the worst QC, from a gauge standpoint, I have ever seen. I have a set of new XL165's here, and the E string measures .103..... tsk, tsk DA, and a completely dead D string.

I just get trapped by the low price sometimes, and pick them up.... only to get burned.

Ljazz

Edit.... I've got a set of chromes on my L2000 now, and they don't change my opinion of DA.

14. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Since TI Jazz Flats are hands down my favorite strings, I tried a set of JRrounds & could never get to terms with them.

The problem I had was that their low tension makes them real buzzy - I had to raise the action higher than normal just to get them to quit buzzing against the frets. I've heard others had the same experience; since then, I've found that the TI SuperAlloys sound great and are a bit less troublesome.

hth.

15. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I will give them a try-thanks!

Kim

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I was sorely disappointed in the XLs two pack I bought just to 'try'. Very poor balance string-to-string and they went 'dead' in eight sets :rollno: !

For inexpensive rounds, I keep going to Peavey Cirrus strings. Stupid cheap, locally. $13 or $14 for a four string, about $17 for a fiver. Good balance and reasonable life.

Kim

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    On my Basswood / Quilted Top L-2500 D'Addario XLs where the sheeet (45-100-130 SL thru body). Very versatile. They could bite and bark and they could hold back. I also liked TI flats on that bass but I could not take them to all occasions like the XLs.

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN

Thanks for the info! Actually, I've been waffling back and forth as to the SA's or the JR's. So, I'll keep your findings in mind.

And not to totally dis DA.... The last time I bought the XL's, I had picked up two sets. The second set was okay, and ended up on my MIA Jazz.... those actually sound great.... I just don't want to be buy several sets hoping 1 is good, or I can piece together a good set.

19. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    So, you like zingy strings but don't like the long-term damage stainless does to frets? Fender 7150s. I use mediums on my SB-2 and my Toby. They sound great (a bit harsh to start with but the mellow after a bit) and they keep good tone for a long time. They sound great fingerstyle and slap, for the right gig a bit of foam or an old sock by the bridge helps mute the overtones.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, Fender strings maintain tone exceptionally well. I use 8250 Super Bass on my Jazz. I've had them on there a LONG time, and they still sound great. They have slightly less tension than GHS Boomers, but produce similar tone.