1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB2 String Choices

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by GaryLC, Feb 29, 2008.

1. cafe racer

cafe racer

Sep 29, 2005
    I Just picked up a tribby SB-2 from GaryLC, thanks again.
    I also put some Labella 760FL's on it like Alan mentioned.
    With some palm muting and a pick it sounds great.
    I still want to try some DR flats.
    Don

2. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    D'Add chromes on my SB-2...pure tone heaven. But I'm a big time flatwound guy, as I have either the D'Add or Sadowski flats on all my basses except the Cirrus.

Slightly off subject...I'm starting to reach for this SB-2 more and more now...even though I'm primarily a 5-string player, this SB-2 just feels, plays and sounds RIGHT - for my church bands and cover (Classic Rock, Blues, Country) band as well. :)

3. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Hey.... just a follow up on this thread. I had mentioned trying to find rounds for my L2000. I put a set of TI SA's on it, and now I understand what all the fuss is about.

I haven't been real pleased of late with my L2000.... a bit boomy on the low end, and a bit compressed sounding on the high end. The SA's seem to mellow out those characteristics, and add some wicked mid snarl. They're not quite a "zingy" right out of the package as other strings, which is fine by me. I think I've found my roundwound! And if they last even half as long as some have said, then I'm going to be really pleased.

Ljazz

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have flat Chromes on my SB-2. I usually don't like the brightness of Chromes but on the SB-2 they sound good. I tried a set of TI flats (usually my string of choice) on it but the lows were so pronounced that I wasn't quite happy with them.

Also, with the SB-2 I usually have to engage the "active" switch on the amps due to those pickups being so hot.

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Hey Freddels....

On both my SB1 and SB2, I roll the split MFD down to about 80-90%. It really takes care of the "boom" and the harsh mid bark, and gets you more of a traditional P sound (especially with the SB1). Of course, fully cranked is cool for solos. You could also try running through a BassBone to cut the signal a bit. To me, both of those options are better than a -db cut through the active input.

I tried a set of chromes on my SB2 when I first got it, but the E string was just too out of balance with the rest of the set, and horribly boomy. That just may be due to the gauge being .003 too thick.... friggin' D'addario.

The TI JF's, once they broke in, sound really sweet on my SB2, so give the split MFD roll off a try.

Ljazz

6. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    anybody ever toss a set of black nylon tapewounds on an sb-2?

7. whoneedstherapy

whoneedstherapy

Oct 26, 2005
    Sydney
    Hey guys,
    I've got an SB-2 on order and want to pick up a set of strings to have handy to expirement with it straight away. I like a full sound with big percussive bottom end and snappy mids but not too bright at all in the top end.

What would you guys reccomend?

8. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I thought the stock elixirs that came on my sb-2 fit that bill. they were a little big and too high a tension for my taste and I put a light gauge set of SIT silencers ( semi-flat) on it.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    whoneedstherapy:
    try these:
    http://www.sitstrings.com/show_product.php?id=32

watspan: elixirs? stock? that's news to me. SIT nickel rounds were stock for quite a while, then G&L switched to DA XL170's, which I thought was still the case.

10. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    well, I just got a NOS usa sb-2. I'm uncertain of the actual mfg date--isupposedly a few years old at least-it's a 3-bolt--had an elixir hang tag on it--red wrappings

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    huh...i'll be.
    i had no idea!

12. whoneedstherapy

whoneedstherapy

Oct 26, 2005
    Sydney
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know how i go once the bed boy arrives.:bassist:

13. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    D'Addario Chromes on my sb-2...