1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB2 vs Tribute L2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by kallad, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kallad

kallad

Oct 1, 2008
    Michigan
    I play an early 90's SB2 and am looking to get a 5 string humbucker type bass to push my meager skills and add a few new tones to my sound. I really like the Tribute L2500 but wonder how much different it plays than the old and trusty SB2? I should also add that I am primarily a guitar player who plays bass when it is needed. I don't play loud, just try to fill in the bottom.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Here's my take on that question. My disclaimer is I'm a longtime G&L fan with my current (and often in the past) faves being PJ SB-2s and having a Tribby L2500 in the house right now (and up for sale as my hands/wrists can only handle skinny necks).

I find all the MFD-equipped G&Ls I'm familiar with (PJ SB2s, P SB1s, L2000s/L2500s, Climax/L1500s) have a similar character to their sound. They are all vintage-ey rather than modern. They are all full-bodied, growly sounds with plenty of depth. But they definitely vary in that spectrum. Here's how I hear the SB-2 vs an L-2000/L-2500:

In general the SB-2 has less low end, less growl, more clarity and bit more "gank" (vs an L-series in series/passive). The L-series has more low end (get used to cutting the lows in series mode), more growl, less clarity and isn't as clankey/gankey. This is mostly SB-2 vs L-series in series because to my ear that's what sounds best and where the L-series stays. In parallel it's not as bottom-heavy and has more spank/snap to the high end but I don't like it as well.

I find the L-series sounds most like my favorite SB-2 setting (P all the way up, J rolled off a bit until the sound opens up) in parallel, neck pickup only (and maybe active). Some folks think neck pickup, series, passive is closest.

Both sound great to me. I prefer the SB-2 a little bit as it seems to get the sound I'm usually looking for in the L-series.

Now the L2500 (I've only had Tributes) has a wider neck (which kills me) and tighter string spacing. That doesn't bother me since I don't really slap. The B-string sounds great to me. Very integrated with the rest of the bass - it's like the E string but lower. Tons of growl and the adjustable pole pieces on the MFDs let you fine-tune the balance.

If you are PJ SB-2 lover and want something close to that sound in a 5-string you could search out an L-5000. It has a single z-coil MFD in the P-spot and sounds great. I think the string spacing is even tighter than the L2500, though. I've tried a couple of those and was sonically satisfied but the wider neck kills me and they've all left the fold. They are much rarer than L-series and harder to find. And they don't have the tonal variety you can get with the L-series either.

I'm such a big G&L fan I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'd definitely recomment the L-2500 over the L-1505 for a 5-string if you like your SB-2. You can't tone similar to an SB-2 with an L-1505, and you can with an L-2500 IMO.

If your SB-2 is 1st generation (J-J pickups) then my comparison won't do you much good and I've never had a first generation SB-2 or Lynx (someday if I find one with a 1.5" nut width I really want to try one out).

3. kallad

kallad

Oct 1, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info craigb. My SB-2 has the P/J pickps. I never thought I needed another bass untill I heard an active bass at a local tavern. I started to investigate 5 stringers and think I have discovered another G&L to equal the flexibility of my SB-2.

I play thru a Genz Benz LT150 acoustic amp becaue the amp is so useable, only weighs 25 #, and like I said I try to play under the radar.

Thanks agin for the quick reply.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The L-series basses don't really have what I would call an "active" tone, despite having an active preamp- I always associate the "active" tone with a bass boost/treble boost/ mid cut modern kinda tone. The G&Ls are all more vintage to me, even with the preamp engaged. Part of that is that the preamp is just a booster/impedance "lowerer" vs. and active EQ system (the bass and treble pots on L-series are completely passive, cut only in operation). Thats just my opinion of course- but I guaratee you won't get an active EMG kinda tone out of any G&L except an L-5500 (a fairly rare EMG-equipped 5 string G&L).

Karl