1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SBL: Moving Pictures Analysis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 2, 2021.

1. I only thought I heard one note that I play differently... an A where a G should be or the other way around in one line he played a couple times.... but I mean, it was pretty damn accurate otherwise. And whatever... he's right... it's incredible music and geddy's composing and playing on it is just astounding. I think he nailed the stuff on side 2 of the album also, although I never listened to that side as much. Yea... I'm in my 50s. LoL

Billyzoom likes this.
  2. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    Yep.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ditto.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, I’ve no desire to compare levels of musical education with you, and nothing you said was wrong. I would however bet folding money that more people you work with will know what you mean by “flat 5” than if you use the term “diminished” at all.

Billyzoom likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I used to think I knew it... now, with the ability to slow it down, I took the time to recently relearn it. Going out on a limb, saying it's ~98% accurate.

Playing it well at studio speed is another matter, but I get better each time I try.

Geddy is awesome... the other two hooligans weren't bad, themselves.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  6. Yea... I was just being complete for sake of accuracy.

I don't like leaving out information.

I'm sure you've seen my posts where I say the same thing many different ways.

Sometimes it's been said that I can be overly wordy and repetitive.

Also I can repeat things at times too much, or say the same thing differently without seeming reason.

Sometimes it just grates and goes on and on and on

Dr. Cheese and Altitude like this.
  7. and on...

SteveCS, Altitude and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    First album I learned. Still a good release after all these years. Those guys should be proud.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am sure the survivors are proud, and Peart was proud.

arbiterusa likes this.
  10. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

Do you feel like sharing said patch? I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of the Helix, so I appreciate people's intepretation of my favorite recorded tones...

11. I’ve told Ian before that I would watch his videos even if I didn’t play bass. Such a positive and entertaining guy. That, and he plays fantastically :)

kobass, ShawnG, JoshS and 2 others like this.
  12. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    My favorite band! The sole reason I started playing bass! I've always wanted to play Rush in a band but I've never met anyone to do it with.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    “I only used one pedal...an HX Stomp.”

Ha.

IanAllison, j.albert and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. sure, I'm on beta firmware so not sure how that will work, but I'm not using anything from the beta in my patch. I'm an official beta tester for line6 on the side.

hang on and I'll see if I can throw that up here somehow, if not pm em and we'll exchange emails. Also, it's my interpretation of his tone, of course with a little bit of studio eqing afterwards too.

so bear in mind..

still, it's something to start off with showing how to have two amp paths in parallel and such.

15. https://file.io/bcmNSHX70EQW

I hope it's the right one (LoL). I have a lot of bass patches. This one is a single sound... and I might have another path running through it for vocals over aux at the same time or something... so if something is weird in it that might be why. Sorry! Not editing, just sharing. I have another patch as well here which is my cleaner, more versatile, do everything bass patch, again of my own devising.

This second one has stomp switches for turning on and off compressor, darkglass overdrive/eq/stuffthing pedal, delays, reverbs, sub octave, touch wah, modulation....

figured I'd share this one too cuz I've used it a fair bit

https://file.io/zQDx2WJUR20P

now these for full helix or helix lt, which is what I have. not sure if stomp can load them, or whatever you're using. I wish there was a converter tool for line6 community to use.

diegom likes this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I don’t play any Rush in bass—yet, anyway—but have always admired what they do, and this has been a really fun video, well presented and inspiring...and the bass tone used sounds fantastic to me. Thanks for posting!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I was playing most of this album in a coverband within six weeks of it coming out- on guitar. It was probably 20+ years later that I looked at it as a bass player and never saw it as an isolated context.

From where I'm sitting....only using the bass as the center of his analysis and not putting the whole thing into the context of a group composition and how all of the instruments interact and counterpoint with each other makes this whole video a complete fail. Drop the bass player fanboy and start looking at them as a complete working unit. Isolating any one of the players only tells part of the story....

18. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    This is good.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You realize the video was produced by Scott’s Bass Lesson’s, don’t you? It sounds like you need to check out Rick Beato, or someone similar for analysis of the entire album.

ruju likes this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    “Complete fail” and “drop the bass player fanboy” seems unnecessarily harsh and provocative. A read of this thread should show that some people find looking at the bass in isolation to be interesting enough to warrant this video.

Obviously you’re right that a look at Rush as a complete working unit would show a lot of intricate layers and interplay, and seeing how three people pulled that off consistently for as long as they did could be inspiring and instructive. But it’s not a fail or a waste of time to zoom in on one element of that. It’s part of how we learn.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 9:42 AM
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021