1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available SBMM S.U.B. Ray5 - modded & upgraded - includes extras!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Philthy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Price:
    Strings:
    I'm selling my Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray5 bass in great condition in walnut finish. I am the original owner. The bass plays great and has a brand new set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies. Sounds awesome with the new electronics. Much better and much more versatile than stock, IMHO.

The mods that I made:
    - changed all chrome hardware to black hardware. The tuners are Wilkinsons, I believe.
    - changed the preamp to an EMG BTS 2 band preamp
    - changed the pickup to EMG MM5HZ
    - installed a series/parallel switch

Things to note for full disclosure:
    - I needed to route the pickguard for the EMG. My skills are mediocre as you will see in the pics but its not terrible
    - I originally attempted to install a black musicman style bridge with the side bolts, much like real Stingray basses. The bridge is in the pics. However the holes I drilled for those bolts were not aligned and the bridge didn't install correctly. So, I installed a black bridge similar to the original bridge that was on this bass. The bolt thread inserts from the first bridge I tried to install are still in the bass. But you would not even know they are there. The current bridge covers them. It does not effect the bass at all. The bass plays, sounds and intonates great!!!

I will include the original chrome hardware (tuners, bridge, string retainer and strap buttons ) as well as the first black bridge I attempted to install. I will also include the original pickup.

I'm asking for $300 shipped to the lower 48 US states only. No international sales. No trades please.

PM me if interested. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    G RICH 5 likes this.
  2. Hirek

Hirek

May 6, 2017
    Anyway I could listen to demo of the bass? To hear what it sounds like :)

3. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Best I could do is probably some cell phone videos. But I'm sure it will not do justice to the sound though. They're EMG electronics; how can you go wrong?:)

G RICH 5 and Hirek like this.
  4. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    My cell phone audio does not record well, unfortunately. It does not do justice to the sound of the bass. However, I can assure that the bass with the EMG pickup and preamp sounds great. I've used it in live band practice situations and I love the sound. There's alot of bass for the money here.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Man I wish I had the extra bread right now. I'm digging this

6. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    @JGbassman , thanks man. You never know. :) I've had this listed for a while. So, this could be around for some more time. Keep checking back. Have a good one!

7. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    If it's there after bills next month it might find a new home

8. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    :bassist:

9. JoLac

JoLac

Feb 27, 2017
    Nice bass, I have the same one and even stock this bass sound very good.

where did you get the black bridge?

10. JoLac

JoLac

Feb 27, 2017
    Thanks!!