1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SBMM Stingray Short scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dralionux, Jan 15, 2020.

1. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    The Sterling by Music Man short-scale StingRay bass is the newest addition to the StingRay collection, offering the iconic design with a short-scale makeover for the first time. The new short-scale bass features a 30" scale for easier playability, passive boost, and a Sterling by Music Man humbucking pickup with higher output neodymium magnets and a 3-way rotary switch. The pickup configuration includes parallel, true single-coil, and series modes. Available in Daphne Blue with Maple Fretboard and Olympic White with Rosewood Fretboard.

StingRay Short Scale

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Doctor Morbius likes this.
  2. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Protagonist likes this.
  3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Horrible colour.

4 Out of 5 likes this.
  4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Nice color!

5. Brian Wright

Brian Wright "Oh, it looks good on you though!"

May 7, 2015
    Houston
    Nice color to look at but I wouldn’t own it. I’m intrigued by a short scale MM though.

dralionux likes this.
  6. I love Daphne, but according to the webpage it is available in white, too.
    StingRay Short Scale

eriky4003 and dralionux like this.
  7. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil

Mar 11, 2018
    Michigan
    I'm going to have to try one of these. I just wish there were more color options.

8. Now I have GAS!!! I'd better start saving up.

9. It would have been ordered by now if it had an active preamp. Any one have any theories why they would not have one in this bass?

10. To make them different from the much more exensive US shortscale models that were invented a year ago?

11. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I thought the US model was passive as well?

Thegrandwazoo, DirkP and dralionux like this.
  12. Protagonist

Protagonist Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    They are passive. From what I've seen in videos, they both share the same circuit design too with the push/pull or push/push volume pot with the boost/cut. I'd guess the Sterling is using cheaper parts. If I don't lose my mind and buy the EB SS on Reverb right now, I'll be buying a Sterling SS

Edit: They both also have strong neodymium magnets in the pickups. The EB model supposedly has no output problems.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    DirkP likes this.
  13. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    Order placed at my local GC for the Olympic white. Hopefully I can speak to build quality in a couple of weeks.

14. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil

Mar 11, 2018
    Michigan
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. What date did they say that it would arrive??

15. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    My receipt has the same date as the website, February 11th.

16. This could use an explanation.

Thegrandwazoo and Protagonist like this.
  17. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil

Mar 11, 2018
    Michigan
    Cool! Thank you!

18. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    This is conjecture based on people talking about the EB shorty, and owning a G&L Kiloton and reading up on them. Both shorty Stingrays have neodymium pickups. G&L also uses more powerful pickups in their passives. Many people stated in the G&L threads that they have to roll off the volume a bit. My Kiloton can easily make my amp clip if I run high gain, in both series and parallel. Ernie Ball put a cut into their circuit, but made it defeatable with a switch so you have the full power if you need it.

19. I don't see how that relates to a "passive boost".

20. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    The default position of the push button volume pot has higher resistance in the circuit. Then you push the button and have more power. The bass is passive. The boost comes from the pickup choice, really, not the circuit. Passive boost is just marketing phrasing for a cut used in reverse.
    That's my understanding of the circuit, but their could be something else in there.