1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SBMM SUB 5 vs Schecter Diamond P 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Aug 1, 2012.

What would you choose if you were me?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2012.
  1. SBMM SUB 5

42.0%
  2. Schecter Diamond P 5

20.2%
  3. Something else in this price range $299 - $499

37.8%
  1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm currently deciding between the soon to be released SBMM SUB 5
    $T2eC16JHJHIE9nysd6D7BP8+7H)tE!~~60_57.
    or the Schecter Diamond P 5.
    [​IMG]

I already own an EBMM SR5, and was looking for a backup. I wanted to look at Fender 5 strings, but wasn't thrilled with the selection.

I'm looking for a solid backup, but like the idea of a different sound then my SR5. That's why I'm considering the Schecter.

Playing mainly classic rock stuff. Finger style, no slap at all.

If you suggest something else, please post your suggestion.

Any thoughts?

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Ibanez ATK 305.

3. I don't know about that model schecter or how their 5ers are, but the only schecter I've ever owned C-4 XXX had the smallest neck of any bass i've ever played. I had to sell it because my hand just couldn't work on a neck that small.

I'd assume the SUB has a thicker neck so if thats an issue I would definatly take that into account.

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Aren't the ATK 305's discontinued? I know they are supposed to be like a SR5, but not crazy about the look either. Thanks for the feedback

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I kind of like the tighter string spacing (17.5mm) but not opposed to a 19mm either. The SR5 has the 17.5mm.

6. aln413

aln413

Jan 23, 2008
    Fontana, Calif.
    I think it would kinda depend on the style of music your playin. If youre playin heavy, the Schecter.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm playing Classic Rock.

8. I am pretty happy with the Schecter P5, with the possible exception of it weighing a lot.

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Oh yeah? can you elaborate on the weight? Is it more than 10 pounds?

10. I think it is 12 pounds.

For me, everything about the P5 is perfect, but the weight. One of the reasons I bought the P5 is that it seemed to be almost exactly what I would custom build and spec out myself when I daydream such projects, and it was fairly inexpensive.

It is just stinkin' heavy.

11. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I'd save up a bit more and get a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02. A used 55-01 is $500-$650 I think. These are very great basses, IMHO.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    12 pounds?? Are you sure, or is that your estimate? If it IS that is a deal/shoulder breaker for me.

I've looked at the Laklands too, but the wide string spacing is something I need to consider. I know the Schecter is not narrow, but it looks like something I can handle.

I've also been looking at the MTD Kingston line as well.

13. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Also something to consider is that I believe the Sub 5's ar 34 scale and the Schecter P 5's are 35 scale.

14. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I know about that Mola. I actually started another thead based on that exact difference. The consensus was that there isn't a big difference, except that the B string might be stronger

15. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You might also look for a used Yamaha BB425. Nice 34" 5'er.

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've actually played that last week at a local store. I wasn't impressed with the overall tone. The neck was very comfortable, but the lack of tone shaping made it a deal breaker. No way to balance between the pups.

17. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Consensus? I don't think this is something you can take a poll on. I have smaller hands and 34's just feel better to me. I don't care how many people tell me that there's no "big difference" between the two because I can definitely feel it.

If you're not familiar with 35 scales I would definitely recommend trying one out before you commit.

18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I will have to do that. Thanks for the information

19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I love my Squier deluxe 5 string jazz bass. It's my go to bass right now.

20. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've looked at those too. A little on the heavy side if I remember. I'm also looking for 10 pounds or under if possible.