1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SBMM SUB Ray4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:09 PM.

1. I been checking out the SUB 4 (Indo made). I was looking at a used one at GC for 199 they offered me a new one for $60 more, so got the new one. Quality? pretty good, finish is OK, neck is not as smooth as I like. frets are finished very nice. I was impressed. Assembled well, volume knob touches pick guard a little. Neck seems stable, actually set up nice. I played it at our last gig, I put a new set of Ernie Ball regular slinky 105's for this weekend's gig.
    Tone? its pretty hot, have to calm the tone down a little. It is a clean sound but bright. Its just the nature of the bass. It still may be a little too bright with these strings. I will have to see.
    Why did I buy it? well, I have seen them, read others comments, wanted to try a MM style bass. A little different (a lot different) sound than my Fender P. Fun to play something different and tweak around & make a $250 bass sound really good. Plus it has a classic shape.
    I feel a little modding in its future.
    What are your thoughts ? Any other strings I should try for a more calm sound?

Swerve, eriky4003 and tindrum like this.
  2. Bassface65

Bassface65

May 10, 2019
    Might find some interesting reading here....
    here is the 1st part of the discussion...
    Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5

Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5, Part 2

This is part 2 of the SUB thread, I believe the first part is linked on the first page I linked you to.

Also for the record I have a SUB Ray5 and absolutely LOVE the bass,I have used it for a few shows now playing rock and have had nothing but compliments on the sound of the bass.

I was worried at first about the quality of hardware and such, but I have found nothing that needs to be replaced

pappabass likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I bought one when they first came out. I ended up replacing the pup and preamp with an EMG setup. Sounded better but was still loud so I lowered the pickup almost flush to the body. Sounds great now.

pappabass likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    GHS black tapewounds.
    I put them on my L2000...the MFD pickups are super hot.
    Mellow and smooth but still capable of being more expressive.

5. Is the tension the same as other strings?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I didn't even have to tweak the truss rod on my L2000 after switching from the factory strings.

I do wish more companies would do it like D'Addario, though.
    [​IMG]

7. Do they last a long time?

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've had the GHS tapewounds on my L2000 for a year and the D'Addario tapewounds on my Dean Exotica for three years.
    They'll last for years to come.

pappabass likes this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I just played a SUB Ray 5 at my local GC. I was really impressed with it. It played better than basses two and three times the price. The tone was good and there are plenty of options if you want to change pickups.

eriky4003, Bassface65 and pappabass like this.
  10. I got my SUB 5 about three months ago because we do a lot of outdoor shows (I have a 1990 EBMM SR5) and I tried one at GC right after playing a used EBMM SR5 and was impressed. The D and G strings sound much better on the SUB (they didn't radius the pole pieces and maybe something in the preamp EQ). Just got my basses weighed and I knew the SUB (9.4 lbs.) was a little lighter than the EBMM SR5 (9.7 lbs.) It actually cuts the mix better in the live band recordings. I put Rotosound Swing Bass on it. Here is a photo from Saturday's show in a tiki hut in Fort Pierce, FL bass ft pierce.

pappabass, Swerve and Bassface65 like this.
  11. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    I bought a used SUB Ray a few years ago here on TB (1st gen version w/ the SUPER hot preamp) but with a US EBMM fretless neck installed. Electronics were stock, but I later installed a Nordstrand 2-band A/P preamp and Nordstrand 4.2 MM pickup. The difference was night and day - it sounds and plays pro-level. I use flats (currently Chromes) on it though bc I like the way they sound with the fretless neck.

IMO the stock preamp in the earlier versions is almost unusable bc of the hot output and uneven volume taper. They are great basses for the $ otherwise.

25AE5D70-7E38-465D-9155-9C2F87E55027.JPG

Bassface65 and pappabass like this.
  12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I own a sub ray 4 and this bass has better build quality than my Squier CV60P (which better than fender player P).
    Just the stock pup has crazy output, harsh high and distorted sound when bass eq bump.

So, my solution is Alnico V mm pup from Aliexpress make the ray4 has better tone , well balance string to string output and has better control with stock preamp.

It tone is much better than GFS Alnico V mm pup I been try (too warm and blur E string sound)

Just go to Aliexpress and search Alnico V MM bass pickups, store name Donlis.

Price are cheap and unexpectedly quality.

Hopehelp.

pappabass likes this.
  13. Gig update, Ernie Bell regular Slinky's sounded much better than the strings that came on it. Still fine tuning the tone. Much less forgiving than my p bass.

14. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    pdx
    I think they're great basses. I put Chromes on mine and that tamed it a good bit. Roll Tide.

pappabass likes this.