1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SC P and tele bass owners-"new " idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johnp352, Aug 1, 2012.

1. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    In my new project, I am playing a single coil P bass..the one i bought here on TB has had the stock replaced with a Fralin split coil..which I like the sound of..but..it doesn't sound like a SC. So, over to the mothership at Seymour..where I spies in the custom shop, a vertically stacked SC shaped pickup that drops right in. and it turns out the PU has 4 wires, 2 for each coil..one trick a lot of esquire/tele players use is to route these to a tone control..so that all the way up is the full 2 coil hum cancelling pickup, all the way down is a soloed SC..and anywhere in between is a blend..as opposed to a coil tap switch which gives you one or the other.

You can't do this with the Fralin, as it's a side by side, ie 1/2 would only get you one side of the pickup.

Anybody try this mod yet? I really like the idea of having that full P sound, then having the ratty SC sound, or anything in between.