Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale/Arp RH Fingering?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Alan(Lost), Mar 21, 2004.

1. Alan(Lost)

Alan(Lost)

Mar 21, 2004
    Hello, I don't really play bass. I play guitar, and am pretty advanced with all that. I'm helping someone to improve on bass, and I'm looking to learn of the right hand technique more.

For scales and arpeggios, what fingering is used on the right hand? For a scale I presume it could be just [1 2 1 2...etc]. But for arps and other things, would the third finger be brought in at all? Take an Am arp (hope it comes out right!):

G|------------5--|
    D|---------7-----|
    A|------7--------|
    E|5--8-----------|

What would the right hand fingering be? Possibly a totally basic and silly question to some around here, but I don't usually browse bass forums and stuff! Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I would contiue with 1..2..1..2. It is still the most efficient and fastest way up or down the arp.

Some players, most notably Gary Willis, use a third finger. Although he just keeps it on the higher strings and plucks it when he needs to.

Mike