Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale dictionary

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i know the 3minor scales the 7modes of a major scale, pentatonic scales and the blues scale.

But i dont know which scale that fits over certain chord.

Of course i know where the minor scales fits but not the 7modes of a major scale, and the blues scale..

I read somewhere that the mixolydian scale fits over -7 chords but i like to use it when i'm doing a small run down the neck over major chords..

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well mixolydian scales usually fit over the X7 chords. While dorian/aeolian are the two most common minor scales to work over the X-7 / Xmin7 chords. But usually what sounds best is what's best.

There's also 4 different minor scales in the 7 modes of the major scale: Dorian, Aeolian, Phrygian and Locrian.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's three minor scales- Locrian is diminished.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Suckbird, if you can pick up the book "5 String Bass-Complete Book of Scales, Modes, And Chords" by Brian Emmel, it goes over each scale thoroughly and has a list at the beginning of each scale of which chords each particular scale sounds best over. The book sells for about $10 online.

Lots of books have this info, but I like this one because it's simplified, has lots of info, and has large print.

5. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    The key is to find the (I) chord in a progression (or find the key signature).

For example the Dm chord has 3 different major scale modes or the major scale associated with it depending on the Key signature.

So for Dm we have something like

Key = C major, Dm is the 2nd degree hence, a Dorian Mode
    Key = Bb major, Dm is the 3rd degree hence, a Phrygian Mode
    Key = F major, Dm is the 6th degree hence, an Aeolian or Nat. Minor

If you are not given a key signature, look for the following:

two major chords a tone apart, these are generally the (IV) and (V7)

two major chords a semi-tone apart, generally the V and VI of a harmonic minor

6. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Well, you have to be careful with modes because they have very specific use for them. It's not because you see a dominant chord(X7) that you can use a Mixo for an example. It all depend on the situation,what is going before the chord and after. It implies a good knowledge of harmony and theory.

For a fast guide line on modes I would say that a Major progression like
    I-IV-V (C-F-G7) or II-V-I (Dmin7-G7-CMaj7) will be based on modes from the C major scale. And, for a prog. like Imin-IVmin-V7(Cmin-Fmin-G7) or IImin7(b5)-V7 -Imin (Dmin7(b5)-G7-Cmin) will be based on modes from the C minor harmonic scale.
    It is very important to play the right scale on the proper chord.
    That is very true on dominant chords.
    Hope this will help,
    SB