Scale fingerings

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by DocBop, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hope you don't mind a beginner question in your Pro section, but I dig your playing and know you can point me in the right direction.

Background played guitar, BG, and Jazz for a long time. For many reasons I need wanted to start over. So after spending a life of love and fear of DB decided to stand up and do it. So got an DB, Simandl book and teacher.

Okay learning the Simandl but looking to the future and wanting to play Jazz on DB. I starting thinking about all the two octace scales and arpeggios I've use on BG and then start comparing to what I am seeing in Simandl wonder they are so drasticly different. Finally my question. For playing Jazz on DB are Simandl fingers what people use, or are their other approaches to doing two-octave scales and arpeggios. Am I thinking about this too early and once I get thru Simandl I will understand. Or will I eventually be working on a different approach to fingerings for Jazz.

Thanks

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    There are many methods for learning the double bass. The one you are using was how I started, but I am now a fan of Francois Rabbath's method for fingerings. It has made really changed the way I play and allows me to do what I do. It includes a lot of playing across all strings in all positions instead of mostly up the G string like the method you study. Give the Rabbath method some consideration. He has a video about bowing available and will soon have one about the left hand.
    Good Luck,

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for your insights once I'm further along I will check out Rabbath fingering. It sounds more like how I view BG in mean time I will check out his bowing video.

Update:
    I just ordered the first Rabbath book so I can see his approach while studying with my teacher on Simandl. I figure seeing things from multiple views can't hurt.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021