Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scale generator for six string bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by urobolus, Sep 7, 2005.

1. urobolus

urobolus

May 31, 2005
    Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a computer program that can generate some scales for a six string bass. Majors, minors, blues, jazz, anything and everything is what I'm looking for.

Generating them myself is possible, but it takes forever really and I'd prefer to take the pressure off myself.

I ask because lately the band I've been playing in has amped up its jazz influence and now wants me to play in some positions that are mighty strange. I'm usually more of a play-it-by-ear guy, and my technical side is less developed, so I'd feel more sure of myself if I had some scale shapes to get grounded in.

peace

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'd say take the time and do it by notes instead of frets, this is why learning by frets is so limiting.

it may be easier to just get a generated patturn, but in the long run i believe its better to learn it simply by the note order.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I second the above. Its worth the time to figure out scales, especially if you recently switched to a 6. One of the biggest strengths of a 6 string is the huge variety of fingering options you have available, if you only learn fixed pre generated patterns you are selling yourself short.

One trick that worked for me was to pick a scale each day and make myself play it in as many different positions as possible. So monday I'd do Cb minor, tuesday I'd learn A lydian, etc. It really helped me learn my way around the (at the time) weird and scary 5 string neck and consequently I figured out new ways to play stuff that I never would have tried before.

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
  5. Guitar pro will generate (almost) any scale for a six string bass(or four string,five string,guitar etc), you just have to set up a track with a six string bass and there you go.