1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scale length confusion with strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by damagebassist87, May 3, 2010.

1. damagebassist87

damagebassist87

Feb 24, 2007
    So I'm trying to get strings for an old Conrad bass. Similar to the bass seen here: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/apowell1/Electric%20Basses/Desktop3-07.gif. I'm measuring from the nut to approximately where the G string saddle would sit and the length is 30"-30.5" (I'm not able to intonate it yet to get an exact scale length). I had bought a set of Rotosound Flatwound Short-Scale strings to install but when I began to string it up the strings appear to be too short. The silk wrapping doesn't clear the nut by almost 1/3". Would I have to use regular scale strings for this bass? It has a floating tailpiece that the strings are fed through but the length from that to the bridge is only about 3.75". Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England

If its nearly 4" (as it looks in the pic) thats your problem! Thats the difference between long scale and short, you would need long scale strings.