1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

scale length for fender strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by redname, Aug 27, 2012.

1. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi,
    been looking for strings for my 35" bass and seems that the cheapest around that i can get are the fender roundwounds.

i would like to ask whether the strings are long enough for 35" basses. those i saw in the store are marked as long scale on the packaging

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You need extra long scale for 35" scale basses.

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Any SUPER or "+" Long scale string should work.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Most likely they are not going to fit.. Most 35" instruments need at least 37" windings from Ball to Taper or Silk...

I need to measure the Fenders but I believe they are 36.5" at most... (NEED TO CONFIRM THAT THOUGH)

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    +1

The last time I spoke to a guy at Fender about this I was told that their string's wind lengths vary within the same model/set, depending on who's making them. He dug through a couple sets for me and found one set that was 37", but said he wouldn't count on them all being that long.

You can always call the string companies/distributors and ask what scale lengths their strings fit, they are usually pretty helpful.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR's will fit. I've used them on my 35" Lakland strung through body. Standard DR's are wound plenty long.

Bass Strings Online has the full line, and even singles and custom sets!
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

D'Addario Super Long would also work. Good strings and are cheaper. BSO has them too :)

7. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding part of this but are you actually looking for "cheap" strings to fit your bass or ones that sound good and fit your bass.

Since those strings are gonna have a lot to do with your overall sound I was just curious about your use of the word "cheap" when excellent sounding strings can be had for around $20-$35 per set depending on style and brand.

Is that more than you were looking to spend?

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    (there are many cheap strings that will fit a 35" instrument that are sub $20)

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Measured a set of Pure Nickel Fenders... 37" Ball to Taper....

Will measure others later today...

10. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    to my knowledge, only D'addario and ernie ball has bass strings which writes super long scale or extra long scale.

i'm unable to get these locally as the stores only go up to long scale for these 2 brands.

i do know there are some brands that can fit a 35" even thou it says long scale, so i'm just checking here.

11. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    i couldn't find any contact details from fender's website :(

12. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    DR's are really expensive from where i come from and the local distributor doesn't have what i want. (ok, i forgot to mention it's for a 6 string bass)

I'm from Asia, so ordering from BSO can be very costly, although i wouldn't rule them out as an option :)

13. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Every band out there has a different term for a different string length...

D'Addario Long Scale = 36.25" Ball to Taper
    Ernie Ball Long Scale = 37.25" Ball to Taper
    SIT Long Scale = 37.25" Ball to Taper
    La Bella Long Scale = 37" Ball to Silk
    Dunop Long Scale = 37" Ball to Taper
    Ken Smith Long Scale = 38" Ball to Silk
    Fodera Long Scale = 38" Ball to Taper
    GHS Long Scale = 36.5" Ball to Silk/Taper
    Rotosound Long Scale = 37.25" Ball to Taper/Silk
    Sadowsky Long Scale = 37" Ball to Silk
    Thomastik-Infeld = 37" Ball to Silk
    DR Long Scale = 38" Ball to Taper
    R.Cocco = 37.75" Ball to Taper

It gets even more confusing when you get into "Extra Long" because some are 38" and some are 39" or 40"!

So you really need to talk to someone who knows the lengths that will fit your instrument, and know the distance from the Ball End to the Nut on your instrument. But in general, most strings with at least 37" windings will fit your bass... IN GENERAL...

We ship to Asia all the time! The standard shipping method is via USPS Global Priority Mail but we have lesser expensive shipping methods available. Best thing to do is contact with your location, desired set and the shipping method you would like to use. (in your case, cheapest which is first class international, this is not an standard option since it varies so much by weight).

14. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    ok, to make it clear, i would say affordable.

the fender strings that i've mentioned goes for around USD$21 for a 6 string pack, which is around USD$7 cheaper than the next brand i can find

at the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to save a couple of dollars right? And it's not as if fender strings are bad either as i had good experience with the tapewounds before :)

15. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    thanks for the info man. i can see that EB's strings might fit for their long scale.

I'm not too sure about the D'addarios thou as I've tried the long scale previously and the E string was too short

16. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I believe it.. D'Addario has the shortest "Long Scale" winding length... I have seen it fit a couple 35" instruments, but not many...

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    String through the bridge, or through the body is another concern for 35" scale basses.

My Lakland 5502 is 35" scale, and you can go through the bridge (most brands are long enough) or through the body (only DR and "Super Long" strings IME are long enough.

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep, standard DR's fit my 5502, as do Super Long D'Addario.

Regular long scale D'Addario won't even fit on my 34" scale Lakland...like Jason said...they have the shortest long scale strings I've seen. :scowl:

Wish D'Addario would make their Super Long scale available as singles.

19. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    the 34" is a string thru?

20. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep. The string needs to be a hair over 36.5", so D'Addario's fall just short.