Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale length, If 5st Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Of course! Frets or not, Same scale lenght always.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. My name is Flexible! The scale length adapts to me.

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Scale length options on fretless?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    My 5 string fretted bass is 35", I like it, I feel comfortable, it's feel natural to me; But, If 5-fretless, I got better intonation control with a 34" scale length bass(!?)!
    >Are your fretless & fretted basses the same scale legth?

2. Radio Kaos 64

Radio Kaos 64

Oct 15, 2003
    What exactly are you asking?

3. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    He is asking if your fretted bass has the same scale legnth as your fretless. If you don't have both of them (like me :) ), don't respond.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I Prefer the 34" scale, both my Fretted & Fretless are 34".

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer 35" for fretted, and 34" for fretless, at least for now.

Once I get my Dingwall, I am pretty sure that my preference will change to 'separate scale for each string' ranging from 37" for the low B to 34" for the G.

I don't think that I would be able to get my head around a Novax arrangement on a fretless, so 34" will probably always be my fretless preference.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are hoping that your fretted playing will carry over to fretless, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Get the fretless that feels good and sounds good to you and then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, ...

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Jeff, are you holding out on us, or did I just miss something? Is one on the way?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a 34" scale on all of my basses right now, but I almost went with a 33" scale when I had my six-string fretless built. The reach really is much more important on a fretless, as a fretted gives much more leeway fingering-wise. Flexibility and hand size can actually matter just to get good intonation on a fretless, so an extra-long scale bass for someone with smaller hands like me would be risky. Hey, I almost bought a 36" scale fretless once-good thing I didn't!

9. embellisher

Hope to put a deposit on it in a couple of weeks, with the rest to be paid when I get my bonus. Afterburner II. I can't wait!:D

10. embellisher

Bryan, you put it much better than I could have. That is exactly why I prefer a shorter scale for a fretless.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Makes no difference to me, as long as it sounds good.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Easy for you-you're a big guy, and I bet your hands are the size of turkeys :D

13. My fretted is a different scale length than my fretless.
    As Jeff suggested w/ a Dingwall bass, my fretless has different scale lengths for each string (I have a Dingwall fretless), but after playing for more than a year on a Novax board fretless, I find its little problem to switch back and forth between a 34" fretted and a 37-34" scale fretless.
    The 34" fretted feels much more race-car like and i can do different things on it. Just spend time on both basses, that the ticket
    frank

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have 5 fretted basses, they all are 34". My fretless is 35". I barely notice the difference, but I may get a little confused someday if I have to play a 34" fretless. :bassist:

15. I have to agree with Bryan's excellent post. My 34" fretless Wal fits my hand like the proverbial custom-tailored glove. I couldn't imagine playing a 35" or 36" so effortlessly. It's just coincidence that my fretted instruments are also 34"... not that I play them much now.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Feet? Yes. Hands? Nope.

:D