1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scale length question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 86general, Oct 21, 2013.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Asked. Answered.

2. Ooooops

Sorry about that. Got caught up in your post and completely forgot about the OP.

A mortal sin on TB - my apologies....

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    True, but better technique and a shorter scale could make it easier still. I have never understood why people resist the idea that moving your fingers a shorter distance can be easier. I am not saying short scales are better or anything like that. Just easier for some people.

4. Blue4

I don't understand it either, and never will. Such an obvious fact.

My first upright teacher stressed ergonomics at the very first lesson - always taking the shortest, most logical fingering approach to any bass line. This was in order to be efficient with the energy you expend during playing. Moving it a step further, for me it takes less energy and I have much better ergonomics playing a medium scale bass over a long scale one.

This is also why I refuse to play a bass with dead spots and create "work-arounds". It goes directly against the grain of my technique and my early ingrained principles of playing bass.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net