Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scale length question...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 24, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i usuallyuse long scale on my mia p-bass. i was online trying to roder single strings, and i can only find the ones i like in extra long. would this give me a problem, or would i just have to cut it a bit shorter?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Depends. If the strings you use are tapered or have silk wraps, then cutting a bit more off the end might not help you (might work just fine though). I would get one string, if your able to order individuals like that and test it first.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the strings have tapers at the post end, but not the ball end, and they arent silk wrapped.

i think i figured it out though from their site.

the .100 and .105 and .130 all have either long or extra long. where as the other strings sizes just say long-extra long.

so i asked what i ordered in the past and he said when i ordered the .80 i got it in the long/extra long.

so, i got the .100 in long scale(because it gives you the option, and the .80 in the long-extra long because i ordered it in the past.

plus, i think it only matter with the bigger guages and thats why they give you the option on those, and not the others.

thanks though.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The best way to choose the necessary String Lenght is to know the 'Winding Length' that Your Bass needs. Measure from the Ball end, including the Ball to the Nut and then to the lowest Tuner Post for your E, B or whatever string is tuned the the lowest pitch or is closest to the nut on the Bass side. The String Winding, with or without silk should end before it reaches the tuner post but must clear the nut. This is about a 2" tollerance on average with most Basses. Strings with Silk ends make it mush easier to trim the excess 'wrap' that goes in and around the post. The Silk also protects the plating on your tuners as well as helping to prevent unravelling.

Silking only costs about $.05 per end in production. I am suprised how many string companies have chosen to save money by taking off the Silk which I see as a important part of the string.

Scale length really has little to do with Winding Length of the String needed as Bridges/Tailpieces and Tuner Placement Varies on each Bass design.

Check the length of the Winding of the Strings you have or find out what the company offers before purchasing. 34" Scale Basses usually use 36.5-38" winding , 35" scale Basses use 38"-40" winding and 36" scale Basses usually need the 40". Other lengths are also available including short and meduim scale Bass strings.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Right On, Mr Smith! I noticed that over the years more and more string companies were leaving the silk off of their strings. I always preferred the silk on the strings ends and though I was not certain, felt that it served a purpose besides offering different pretty colors. I've got three fairly new basses and I change strings maybe twice a year, my preference. I am going to look for some flatwounds this afternoon to replace the strings on my standard MIM Jazz, bet I don't find any silk wrapped. My EB/MM Sray 5 has the free set of EB slinkys that I put on last fall and my 2 month old Skyline 55-01 still has alot of life on those stock strings. It seems when I last looked the local stores don't carry alot of selections of bass strings, guess online is best. BTW, I always see the Ken Smiths at my local GC and boutique music store where I usually shop, used to buy them often, may just try them again on my 55-01 down the road.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    .......Note: This is NOT a Commercial.............

Just a note concering GC and KSB. We no longer sell to GC. I don't like the way they do business and push companies around to do things their way regardless of how much extra work it is for us.
    If you need something form KSB, just contact us and we can direct you to the best source. We are also not doing much business with Sam Ash anymore for the same type of reasons.