Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale Length Software?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Kahuna, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Folks,

I used to have software that calculated the proper fret placement based on any scale length entered, but I've lost/misplaced it.

Does anyone have a link or site that has this or similar software available, either as a free, fee, or shareware?

Thanks,

:^)~

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Duh.... Stewart MacDonald has one, so I've answered my own question.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Here's instafret, originally written by JP and expanded a bit by me.

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Pilot,

Thanks a ton! Greatly appreciated.

I have a new customer, and she is wanting a custom bass in a shorter scale to accomodate her small hands. I've advised her to tune her current bass down a half step and then put a capo on the first fret to see how a 32" scale (approx) would feel.

Thanks again!

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Grandon

The capo on the 1st fret trick is a great and easy way to try out 32" scale.

Glad to help out.

BTW congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Bet you're getting a lot a sleep lately. ;)

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Pilot,

Thanks. Yeup... can't wait for her to sleep through the night so I can stop feeling like a zombie after lunch. Sheesh... there just ain't enough coffee in the world! First sleeping through the night, then potty training.....

Rochester huh? I grew up in Buffalo. Going back there in a week or two for my parentst 50th wedding anniversary. My brother Jimmy still works at Kodak and has for years and years...

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    GW

Yeah, once they hit 12 pounds they sleep through the night. (sleeping thought the night being defined as any 5-6 hour continuous stretch!) One of life's oddities, it almost always works that way.

Working for Kodak? One of the lucky few remaining. That company bleeds its yellow blod almost yearly. But it's a great gig if you can get it. I'm an engineer in a small company, and Kodak's janitors probably make more than I do. I know that some of Xerox's janitors do.

Back on topic, don't forget to do a work in progress thread in Basses once you get started!

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'll start a seperate thread for the bass soon, they're still waiting to make a decision and I have to meet with them to go over design ideas, the overall sound she's looking for, balance, etc.

On the same note, I am building myself a 5 string. I've already placed an order with Larry at Gallery for the woods. Neck will be ebony, purpleheart and flamed maple, body wings swamp ash and a beautiful Thuya burl top! I still haven't decided on a fingerboard wood yet.... I'll start a seperate thread for that one as well once I've nailed down a design and have the woods.