scale length vs nut to saddle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baby caseless, Oct 17, 2005.

1. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    I want to clear up the difference between "a full 34" scale" [website description of a bass] and the guy who is selling the bass who tells me {two or three times now] that this EXACT same bass is DEFINITELY 30" inches from saddle to nut--I need a bass with the frets nice and close together so I can actually reach them--so I've got to get this right. Thank you
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, bring your own scale and measure for yourself. If you have two contradictory statements, that is the one and only way to find out.
  3. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    The correct way to measure scale length on any fretted (12 tone scale) instrument is to double the distance from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret. This then eliminates small variances in each string's scale length from adjusting the saddles for accurate intonation.
  4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There is what is called 'compensation' that will make any scale length longer than what is accepted - but the variance is only a fraction of an inch.

Ask the guy to measure from the fretboard side of the nut to the 12th fret as suggested. Double that distance and you have your scale length.
  5. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    thank you that makes it very clear.