Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale length, windings for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Heya, great forums here. I've been reading a ton!

After searching through the strings section and reading through all the links I could find, I still can not figure this one out.
    I am building a 5 string fretless bass and had been planning a 35" scale and flats. I have a set of Bartolini XX M55C pickups and plan on getting the Bartolini 3 band preamp, so if you know what that all sounds like then factor that in. I honestly don't know what it sounds like yet. Probably not really a recipie for success, but I hope I'm at least heading for a workable instrument. I am still at a point where I can change the scale length and am considering going to 34" from what i have read and found on my own so far. I would like to avoid the floppy B and have at least a little growl but really don't know which way to turn. I know I don't want rounds on my fretless just because of the wear on the fingerboard, but that's about where my certainty ends. I thought LaBellas were going to be good, so I picked up a set. That was probably the worst choice I could have made since it seems the (very cool looking) black nylon tape wound strings might be among the deadest of the dead sounding strings I could buy. Is that correct? Also, laying these up against my Ibanez 34" fretted bass it looks like these strings will barely work for 34" and no way for a 35" scale! Oh crap, I can't remember what strings I have on the Ibanez now, but the B (roundwounds) is pretty marginal. It works but I tend to prefer moving down the E string most of the time which sort of defeats the purpose of having a 5er :meh:

So help if you can please! How much difference does the 35" scale make vs the 34"? It appears as though 34" strings are quite a bit more common, so it must not be critical to have 35" for a tight B... Oh yeah, I think I prefer some tension too. I don't really care for a floppy feel on my bass, but I'll get used to that if it all works out for a nice sound overall. I think I would like to have a sound sort of like Pink Floyd from The Wall. Some definition but not biting I would say. The long slides on Hey You are what plays in my head when I think of where I want to go. As a baseline of course. Maybe I really need to get what bite I can from the strings and then EQ it down to suit? Ah, also I have a SWR Workingman 2004 amp and with a Workingman 210T and an Avatar 115 cab. I don't know where those compare on the brightness or definition spectrum...I'm such a noob. No really!

Building my own bass so far has been very interesting and it is turning out great, but not knowing 100% what I want is making the whole project very confusing!! What would you do? Maybe I need to just go 34" and put frets on to be nice and safe!!! Er, nah.