Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale length

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, May 22, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    What is scale length and can it be shortened or lenghtened??

2. Stangg

Stangg Guest

scale length is the length from the nut to the bridge, and if you're good with an axe, it's pretty easy to shorten it.:)

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Which length, long or shorter, reduces string tension and makes playing with your fingers more efficient and easier. Someone told me longer scale length (i think) made plucking somewhat difficult on some basses.

4. Longer scale would make the strings tighter right? Because they would'nt need to vibrate as much to make the lower frequencies because they would be longer from the start. Right?

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Sounds right to me Paste. Well, tommorow, the lutheir who does work for me has a the task of shortening my scale lenght tommorow. How is he gonna do that though. Will he put the bridge closer to the neck???

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    f=1/2*L * sqr(T/r)
    f: frequency
    L: scale length (open string, otherwise fretted length)
    T: tension
    r: string mass per length unit

Your luthier will probably move your bridge...if it's a fretless!
    If it's fretted he will have to exchange the neck (see formula above).

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    get a brand new neck?? how much will that cost for a fender precision?

8. If you are looking for a more slinky string feel, why don't you just get lighter strings?

I think the 34" scale length on your P-bass is ideal.

Myself, I want to get a 35" scale length some day. I love tight strings.

FF

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    No use. I've tried many brands and gauges. Plus, the ligher ones have terrible sound IMO. I just want a shorter scale length. I just wanted to find out if you had to get a new neck before i call the lutheir and he has to tell me that.