Scale Lengths

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dizzyfingers, Aug 17, 2005.

1. dizzyfingers

Aug 17, 2005
    Is the 34" scale the longest scale available in bass guitars? If not, who makes a longer one?
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Carl Thompson has made basses up to a 38" scale neck. I think it's crazy.

I actually like the idea of Matthew Garrison's 33" scale Fodera 6 string. Seems more my speed.
  3. Well, first let me say welcome to TB. Second, there's a search function on that bar up at the top of the page that really helps with questions like this. and to answer your question, no it isn't.

Many companies make 35" scale basses (very common). Another less common length is 36" which i see on many fretless basses. And there is knuckle guitars, thier basses are 39" scale IIRC. A custom maker can be pretty liberal with scale lengths as well.
  4. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    MTD Basses are 35".

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My Dingwall is a 37.

Sort of.
  6. Simplest 'rule of thumb'..... the vast majority of 4 string basses are 34" scale, the vast majority of basses with a low B string (5 or 6 string basses) are 35" scale. There are a few manufacturers who make slightly shorter scale production basses (32" or 33"), and lot's of custom manufacturers who have a 36" scale option (plus a few other unusual lengths).

the logic of the 35" scale is that it allows the lowest strings (especially the B string) to be tuned slighlty tighter, which many think gives the lower strings a better sound.

I don't feel much difference in playability between 34 and 35" scales, and quite frankly, I've heard good 34" B strings and 'bad' 35" B strings. So.... it's probably better to find a bass you like, play it, and if it plays well and sounds good.... go for it!

Welcome to TB.
  7. :)