1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scale of Bass - Pickups or length? Light Left Handed Bass (4-String) NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scheherez, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Scheherez

Scheherez

Mar 25, 2007
    Awrite, I know that there have been MANY threads on long- vs. short-scale basses out there...

I have heard that the pickups & the body wood do more to determine the sound than the scale of the bass...is that true?

Why I want to know is that I'm looking for a more compact bass with a smaller neck, as I've got some tiny hands. I've got a BC Rick Platinum Warlock (Left-hand), but it's set really high and no one can lower the action without the string going wonky. Plus, it's really heavy. But I love the sound, and I don't wanna give it up!

I just want a good quality bass for gigging, that will be easier to carry than Thor...

Thanks in advance!

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Maybe find a tech who doesn't suck?

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The platinum series unlike most of the stuff BC Rich has made that I'm familair with, ussually need a neck shim for proper neck angle. A little bit rearward. To facilitate low action. So yes you need someone with a clue for low action bass set up to help you.

4. Scheherez

Scheherez

Mar 25, 2007
    A neck shim? :crying:

There ain't anyone in the Caribbean that can make that! Thing is, the bridge is at its lowest, too, so adjusting the truss rod makes no sense...

I guess Thor will be for practice & I have to go searching...

No one answered my questions tho.... :help:

5. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Are you shining us on or do you really have no business cards where you live? That's what we commonly use for shims in the States :) .

6. Scheherez

Scheherez

Mar 25, 2007
    No, I'm not shining, I swear! I thought that a shim was made of metal or something specialized...

I haven't had to do this before, I just grinned and bore it, until my hands started to hurt. Then a fellow bassist told me my action was way to high form my hands to handle.

I've seen how it's done, but I've never seen anyone down here that does it. I'll check around...maybe I can find a veteran that can do this...

Thanks, guys!

7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  8. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    I cut two 1/8" wide strips from a guitar pick. works fine. my first try was with a thick gtr pick, was 'too high', tried a thinner one and it was perfect. did it to my Squier 5 and a custom shop p bass. both play lots better . no loss of sustain whatsoever.

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Exactly this! This ain't rocket surgery, you can very easily do it yourself without having to find a tech. Shouldn't take you more than an hour, and man oh man will that hour have been worth it when you see what a little shim can do :)

10. You must be fairly smart, you chose the bass for playing enjoyment. There is plenty of info on doing your own setups, including shimiing the neck. Read them, learn them and do it. Like others said "it ain't brain surgery" Lots of videos on youtube, but first use the sticky links found at the beginning of this forum. Also, I have several students, 10 -13 years old that have very small hands and they play a full size bass with no problems. You don't need a short scale. You just need to adjust yours properly.
    Rocky

11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, here you have the opportunity to be the smartest guitar tech in the whole Carribean :D .

12. Scheherez

Scheherez

Mar 25, 2007
    Yup, I reckon I will! Thanks, guys for everything! It'll save me some money, too! If I do get a short scale, it'll be to add to my collection as an alternative, but I'll do a shim for this first!

Niceness!