Scale patterns

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Heavy_E, May 10, 2003.

1. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    OK... I am new at this. I have been playing for 1 year... In the last few weeks I have dedicated myself to learning the major scales and key signatures. While I was practicing today I noticed that all the scales (major) were the same pattern anywhere on the neck... Is that right? (like duh newbie!!!) :p

This is lke a major (no pun intended) breakthrough.
  2. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    That's one thing that's cool about the bass, patterns are the same all up and down the neck. With a "regular" guitar there are patterns, too, but they are interupted by that silly B string. (Just another reason the bass is so much more fun to play.:) )

Pentatonic scales are a good thing to learn, too, and you can follow a pattern on the fretboard for them, as well. These patterns are very useful when you want to jam and improvise along the way. The patterns can be found in most good beginner bass instruction books.

Have fun and play on!:bassist:
  3. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The patterns are the same, of course theres more than one pattern for the same scale. Its a good idea to learn all the different patterns positions of the scales, more imporantly, learn the notes you're playing in the scale. Play and sing the note name when you play it. This will help you familiarize yourself with EVERY note on your fretboard and eventually nail any note without even thinking about where it is.

Also learn the minor scales and major/minor arpeggios in all 12 keys in the order of the circle of fifths.

Another great post on scales is Pacmans Sure Fire Scale Exercise. (all you have to do to find it is do a search for that title thread. (great thread to familarize yourself with your fretboad)

Another great Scale lesson is by Jazzbo. Its located in the lessons sections.

These two men definatly have thier stuff together in the theory department. So READ IT! :D
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It is also good to learn 3 fingerings for all diatonic scales/arpeggios/etc.
  7. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    I have been working on the patterns for a couple of hours each night. Just build up my dexterity and coordination. I have also put together a "fret board" in Adobe Illustrator 10 and labeled each note. Now I am trying to put notes with the pattern so I will know the fret board without hesitation. I can already tell big improvements.
    I'm stoked!!! :D