Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scale Question.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Oct 4, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was looking at a bass instructional web site in my plan to knuckle down and learn some theory. I found this chord chart thing, i dont know what its called.

[​IMG]

Now i know to play this scale, you start off at the bottom black dot, a B, and to play the scale you play the note where every dot is, and then the black dot is the final one. Is that right, because im wondering why there is an extra white dot after the final black one. Do i have the option of playing either of those, or is it a mistake when the graphic was designed.

Sorry if its a stupid question :D thanks

-Phil

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The second black dot shows the octave. The white dot after shows where the scale ends.

EDIT:I thought I was smarter then I really am.

3. I would guess that it is just trying to show you that the note in key is available.

I couldn't tell you why they did that and didn't show the notes available on the E string.

p.s. that seems to be showing the last mode of the major scale. if both black dots were moved up one place then it would be the major scale.

They are showing you the locrian scale.

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sweet! I get it now. Thanks!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    As soon as I saw that I thought, "Locrian? Hmm, strange." Maybe they're talking about options in a minor ii/V7/I turnaround!

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My guess here is that they showed you all the notes easily played in that position for that particular scale, even one note above the octave, as it lies in that same four fret expanse. That note above the octave is one octave above the second note in the origianl scale, both C.

That being said, why not then show the available notes on the E-string, too? Maybe for simplicity. Who knows?

7. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I'm with you Jazzbo... Locrian....so that's like another name for Chromatic right? **thinks***goes and gets theory book*** thinks***

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - the opposite in fact - diatonic. It is just a mode of the scale.

9. "The Locrian Mode
    -------------------14-16-17---
    ----------14-15-17------------
    -14-15-17---------------------
    ------------------------------
    B C D E F G A B C
    R -2 -3 4 -5 -6 -7 R -2

[​IMG]

|-0-|---|-X-|-0-|
    |-0-|-0-|---|-0-|
    |-X-|-0-|---|-0-|
    |---|---|---|---|

I also like to practice this one up to the -2nd above the octave. Take a look at all of those flatted notes. This is a dark, dissonant scale. It works over m7b5 (minor seven flat five; R -3 -5 -7) chords (also called half-diminished chords) and not much else."

(You can't just look at the pics, kirb. You gotta read too! :) )

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What's this tic-tac-toe? :D

11. Only if playing a 3:2 Clave.
    Don't get me started on that again.
    ;D

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually in Afro Cuban, the "direction" of the clave does determine where chords "sit"!! ;)

13. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    But...but...but...:)

It said that these are the note in the scale, and i figured that the second black dot was the root, (ive had my fare share of power chords :) )

I get it now, crisis over, no body worry, everyone is ok :) :D