Scale sequences

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by germ_77, Oct 10, 2011.

1. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    I have been searching through the forum and various music sites looking for a list of scale sequences to practice but have only found various ones scattered amongst the sites.

Does any have a good list or a link to a site with a list of various scale sequences to practice.

Example,
    1-2-3, 2-3-4, 3-4-5, 4-5-6, etc
    1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-5, 3-4-5-6, etc
    1-3, 2-4, 3-6, 4-7, etc

I am just basically looking for a list of good ideas of sequences to practice in as many ways as possible for each scale.

Thanks.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    How about:

1-3-5, 2-4-6, 3-5-7, 4-6-1, 5-7-2, 6-1-3, 7-2-4, 1-3-5-7-1

3. So much of what we do is grab patterns we have stored in muscle memory. Why not practice your scales in such a way that you will be able to reach into your bag of tricks and pull out something you can use.
    Code:
    Major Scale Box. 

G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    Place the R on the 4th string 8th fret and the C major scale notes await you. 
    Place the R on the 4th string 3rd fret and the G major scale notes await you. 

Scales - Place the root and the pattern will automatically give you the correct notes.
    • Major Scale = R-2-3-4-5-6-7
    • Major Pentatonic = R-2-3-5-6 Major scale without the 4 & 7
    • Major Bebop = R-2-3-4-5-b6-6-7 Major scale with a b6 added
    • Major Dominant Bebop = R-2-3-4-5-6-b7-7 Major scale with both b7 and 7
    • Natural Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 Major scale with the 3, 6 & 7 flatted
    • Minor Pentatonic = R-b3-4-5-b7 Natural minor scale without the 2 & 6
    • Blues = R-b3-4-b5-5-b7 Minor pentatonic with the b5 blue note added
    • Harmonic Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-b6-7 Natural minor scale with a natural 7
    • Melodic Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-6-7 Major scale with a b3
    • Minor Bebop = R-2-b3-3-4-5-6-b7 Dorian with a natural 3 added
    That’s enough to get you going.

Major modes
    • Ionian same as the Major Scale.
    • Lydian use the major scale and sharp the 4 - yes, it’s that simple.
    • Mixolydian use the major scale and flat the 7.

Minor Modes
    • Aeolian same as the Natural Minor scale.
    • Dorian use the Natural Minor scale and sharp the b6 back to a natural 6.
    • Phrygian use the Natural Minor scale and flat the 2.
    • Locrian use the Natural Minor scale and flat the 2 and the 5.

Run those in all the keys. Should get your fingers moving and let you store some usable "stuff" in muscle memory at the same time.

4. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011

Malcolm, When you are saying run those in all keys though how do you mean to run through them? Just root to root up and down?

5. Take the Major scale pattern and run the G scale up two octaves then come back down. R-2-3-4-5-6-7-that's one octave keep going 8-2-3-4 the rest of the 2nd octave will be on the G string. Figure it out. Now come back down and end on the 4th string 3rd fret where you started. Now move to the 4th string 5th fret and do the A major scale up two octaves then come back down. Skip the B scale as that is not used all that much and go to the 4th string 8th fret for the C major scale. Then grab the D scale, etc.

Next take the Major Pentatonic scale and do the same thing. Here is how that will come in handy. Say you have a song using the A, D & E chords in the song. When the A chord is in play use the A major pentatonic notes over the A chord. When the music moves to the D chord then you change to the D major pentatonic and play those notes. And when the E chord comes into play move up the neck and grab the E major pentatonic notes.

Take on the Natural minor scale next..........

OK what have we learned? How to take scale notes and run them up and down the fretboard. No that is not music it's scale exercises. Our ear is learning the sound of the good notes from the bad notes and our fingers are moving like they should. That is important, but we need to work on chord tones because that is what we play. Get scales under your fingers and then come on back for chord tones later.

It's a journey.

6. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks

7. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    You can make as many phrases as you want with 4 notes for free at The Bergonzifying Transmogrifier.

So pick any four notes, say the first 4 notes of a major scale like E Major - E, F#, G# & A - put them in and all 23 combinations of those notes will be generated. You can also add rests if you want and do them as 16th notes, 8th notes or quarter notes. All free.

http://bassoridiculoso.net16.net/

8. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011

Bloody hell I didnt know a site like that existed, I have been looking for one to work on site reading so I dont keep memorizing the lessons I go over from books.

9. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Check out the blog for some other goodies, random notes for sight reading, arpeggios and other stuff.

10. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    To help you in your quest

Google: Scales and Embellishments

Also...for fun, look up the 40,320 possible combinations of an 8 note scale...it was written out and performed (at one time I believe is was in Guinness as longest musical performance)...if I remember correctly, they titled it Sadist-Factory

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021