Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scales/Arps RH Fingering?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alan(Lost), Mar 21, 2004.

1. Alan(Lost)

Alan(Lost)

Mar 21, 2004
    Pretty basic question, but I don't play bass; I play guitar, and am helping someone with improving.

I suppose the question is about RH fingering in general. I don't use it for guitar at all really, so I don't have much experience with it. Whether it's wide open or not, that's what I want to learn. I'm just looking to learn any suggest method.

For a basic scale, would the RH fingering follow a strict [1 2 1 2 etc...] pattern, or would the third finger be used for three notes per string, or does it matter?!

For arpeggios, what would the fingering be. Take an A minor arp:

G|------------5--|
    D|---------7-----|
    A|------7--------|
    E|5--8-----------|

What RH fingering would anyone suggest? Are there any pitfalls of fingering which should be avoided or so? Thanks for any help! :bassist:

2. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I think there's as many answers to your question as there are bassists..

I try to keep it 1-2-1-2... but coming down between the strings i tend to play the last note on the higher string and the first on the lower with the same finger, sliding the finger upwards.

On the arpeggios it's sometimes like playing a scale, sometimes sweeping with thumb/index and sometimes with thumb, index, middle and ring, each by their own string (like classical guitar).