scales, don't know any help?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by COZ, Oct 15, 2000.

1. i'm relativly new to playing bass. i can up sort of with my drummer, but i just have this problem where i don't know what chords to play, and flows to together, espically when a guitarist is playing. Can anyone help? oh what makes it harder, is a also can't read sheet music or tab? sorry! told you i was new!:) But i'm ready to learn anything that anyone has to offer! Thanks!
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

What kind of music will you be playing, Coz?

3. i want to focus more on rock and roll, or alternative, but i want to learn a lot more, such as blues, or jazz, and maybe if a little country :) Just because i don't want to limit my hands to one style of music, i want to be able to incorporate all styles to my own little style!
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Coz, what I'm gonna say probably wont be what you want to hear.

Take a lesson. At least one so you don't start out with bad habits that not only slow up the learning process, but can even result in injury.

There are good musicians who say they know nothing about theory. All of them would have been good musicians quicker if they had started learning theory when they first started playing.

I speak from experience. I didn't follow my own advice and it definitely put a ceiling on how far I could go with music.

5. i hope no one confuses me with COZ :D
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Check the book " Complete Scales and Arpeggios in Tablature for Bass Guitar" by Howard R. Wallach. JT Publication, Heartland Music, 1991, $7.95. Although tablature is mentioned in the title, all the scales are shown on fretboard charts that show you what fret and string to play for each degree of the scale, arpeggio or mode. Also the author tells you what chords are typically played with each scale. This book has plenty of material to keep you occupied for months.

Additionally, I go along with the advice to get a teacher for at least a few lessons to help you put the scales and chords in context and show you how to make bass lines from those building blocks.

Jason Oldsted
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is the best advice, definitely. IMHO, lessons can dramatically improve all aspects of your playing. This, of course, is assuming that you have a good teacher, and that you put quality time into your practicing.
  8. first off you said you cant read tab. its actually pretty simple. a bass tab will have four lines on them like this
    these represent the strings
    the numbers on the lines is what fret to press down and the string to play it on
    here you would play the first fret on the lowest pitched string

if you still dont get it, it will come eventually

9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or get rufus reid's evolving bassist. that book is great. scales, technique, everything. it's geared towards upright, but it works.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd advise AGAINST getting the Rufus Reid book, great book, yes but way over the head of a total beginner.

If you can't afford to take two or three lessons to get you going, get a book on beginning rock bass (there are hundreds of these available) and work through it. Get one with a CD so you can HEAR what it's supposed to sound like.

Also, sit down with the guitar player and see if he can show you how to finger some common riffs, in many rock tunes, the bass doubles the main guitar riff.

Good luck!