1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scales over chords

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by iwearpumas, Oct 16, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hey Mr. Grey, I also sent a facebook message. My question was regarding the soloing over the chords. Why did you choose those specific scales to use over the given chords? Is there a specific scale that are suppposed to be played over chords?

2. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    I think it's really useful to understand the colors of different chord scales and how they sound against chords.

For example if I'm playing over a CMaj7 chord vamp I may decide to use notes from the G Major (Ionian) scale because there is no avoid notes.

When I say Avoid notes I mean the notes that rub against the chord which would be an F if I'm thinking C Ionian. The note F rubs against the major 3rd Chord Tone which is E in Cmaj7.

Generally a note a whole step above a Chord Tone sounds nice as a tension or color.

I generally use Dorian when I'm playing a Minor 7 Vamp. The 6th degree is a whole step above the 5th and sounds really nice as a color. C-7 with tension 13 (A) sounds nice if we used the Chord Scale C Aeolian or Natural Minor we would get that Ab which sounds a bit harsh against the chord.

However if I'm improvising over a standard then I'm thinking in more diatonic colors.

Hope that helped. I go through this a lot in my system.