Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scales question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Since there is like 1 000 000 000 000 different scales i was wondering if anyone could give me the most "common" or the best scales to practise...... thanks....

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    start off with the major scale and its modal derivatives... make sure that you integrate arpeggios into your practice too

minor and major pentatonic 'scales' & the 'blues scale' would probably be your next best bet if you're planning on playing anything vaguely rock related

chromatic scale practice is often good for strength and helping you practice smoothly shifting positions etc

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you are just starting out with scales I would play 3 octave major scales and arppegio. This will get you familiar with the fretboard and also get you into the upper register.

Also do this at about 80 bpm. Play whole notes, then half, then quarter, the eight notes.

Then when you are comfortable with that then move on to Minor, Blues, Jazz Minor.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd suggest specifically NOT starting with the pentatonics. I have a feeling a lot of musicians get screwed up by doing that first - first at least get your full majors and/or minors down, then maybe even some modes first.

What got me going down the wrong path with modes, though (which I'm really just starting to come-around a little on now), is starting a modal scale on the note that it would have fallen on within its relative regular major scale (I don't know how to say this right, I guess) - what I mean you should do is stick with a key; play 'parallel modes' instead of 'relative modes'.

Chromatic is always good excersise I think - it won't teach you much theory, though.

Joe

5. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I concur with Cowsgomoo. Good solid advice.

6. Agreed - I started with minor pentatonic because that's most of what you're going to hear in rock and I'm still trying to get away from it. Start with the major scale and modes. 3 notes per string. Learn them in every key. Sing it as you play it to train your ear. Blah blah blah...

you're going to hear these tips everywhere.. search around here or go to a music shop and flip through some of the books (don't buy any though, they're usually a waste of money).

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Unfortunately, that's probobly most of what you hear in rock because of all the bassists before US that got 'hooked' on this 'minor pentatonic music theory'!

Joe

8. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Learn to play a major, minor, and dominant 7 scale. Learn the correct fingerings and play them up and down. 3 scales that will make up most of most songs.

9. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Code:
    Scales To Learn
    ---------------

- Diatonic Major Scale and Modes
    - Diatonic Pentatonic Major Scale and Modes
    - Melodic Minor Scale and Modes
    - Harmonic Monir Scale and Modes
    - Double Harmonic Scale and Modes