Scales to know

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by justlouiz, Nov 2, 2011.

1. justlouiz

justlouiz

May 31, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been practicing my scales non stop since I've started playing a few months back I've been doing majors, minors, and blues. What other scales are good to learn?

2. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    All of them. Serious.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    All scales are good to learn, but don't make them the major focus of your attention. Chords and chord formation is way more important. Use the chords and don't always be looking for scales to use when you make up parts.

4. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    I'm as big a pro "use chords" guy as anyone but scales are still very much worth learning to absorb their different textures and flavors.

The mistake people make is trying to apply scales over chords which in terms of the harmonic motion of the song may have very little practical application. The reason people struggle so much trying to figure out what scale to use over what chord is that on a chord based song (which most western popular forms are) it's really illogical...it's like trying to figure out what shoes to wear to go swimming. You don't hear too many beginners wigging out about what chord to use over what chord.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021