Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scales to learn to help tech

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by violatedppl, Aug 15, 2005.

1. As in my previous thread I am looking for scales to learn to help my right hand tech, although my left could use a little cleaning up as well. Play lines the have many string changes is not a problem for me nor is finger strength, I cant remember the last time my hands got tired at practice. but I would like something to clean my right hand up.

2. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    why don't you play a minor scale and alternate between a higher octave for every other note

3. Amastacatious

Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    Play the scales you already know. But try and figure out fingers that use all the strings up and down. Try switching up fingers on the way up and down. Try playing the scales up and down in sequences (especially odd numbers) like C D E F G, D E F G A (in 5/8 or 5/4...5/something). Do that up and down. Try playing the scales in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths, octaves, 9ths, etc... Like thirds would be C E, D F, E G... Go up and down with those. Try alternating "up and down" for examples 7ths would be, C B, C(octave higher) D, E D. E(higher) F...Arpeggios across all the strings help with string crossings alot. Anything arpeggio will work. I also like running Whole tone and Diminished scales up and down, one note higher each time. Whole tone for example, C D C D E D C D E F E D C D E F G F E D C etc until i get to the top of the neck, then I take one note away each time.

Good Luck

4. p.o.d.

p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    where can I get the notes or tab of scales

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Get a copy of "Bass Playing Techniques - The Complete Guide by Alexis Sklarevski". Full of good left and right hand exercises.

6. rogerjeep

rogerjeep

Aug 10, 2005
    I prefer playing harmonic minor scales. This scale seems to work my technique more so then the others. It must be that raised 7th thing. I do them two octaves at 1/4 note =150 in two different hand positions. This will really get you up and down the fingerboad.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY