Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bloumy2, Mar 12, 2001.

1. bloumy2

Dec 10, 2000
    Major scale has 7 modes : Ionian, Dorian..........etc
    Minor scales has 7 modes too ???
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're heading in the wrong direction a little.
    The minor scales are already in there.
    The dorian (II.), phrygian (III.), aeolian (VI.) and locrian (VII.) mode all have a minor third and therefore have minor tonality.
    E.g. the aeolian mode is also called the pure minor scale.

The starting point is the major scale. The minor scales are 'derived'(?) from that scale, e.g. as relative or parallel minor scales.

C major and C minor are called parallel major and minor scales. Both scales use the same letter notes but have different sharps and flats (In other words, different key signatures)

D pure minor (aeolian) is known as the relative minor to F major scale. D aeolian uses the notes of that major scale (same signature - 1 flat/Bb).

Hope I didn't make a mistake or confuse you too much.
    Try to find a good book on theory, that'll explain thing better and more thoroughly.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"The Bass Grimoire" by Adam Kadmon does show modes for the melodic minor, the harmonic minor and other less frequently used minor scales like the Hungarian Minor and the Enigmatic Minor.

The Melodic Minor scale has these modes and degrees:
    I Melodic Minor 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
    II Dorian b2 1 b2 b3 4 5 6 b7
    III Lydian Augmented 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7
    IV Lydian Dominant 1 2 3 #4 5 6 b7
    V Hindu 1 2 3 4 b5 b6 b7
    VI Locrian #2 1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
    VII Super Locrian 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7

I did a really bad job of lining these up as they should be and are charted in the "Grimoire", but the idea is that, as in the example of the melodic minor scale above, a mode is created by starting the scale on a different degree of the scale from which it is taken. (Well, that explanation may be pretty confusing.)

As suggested above, you would do well to buy a good theory book. You asked about seven modes for a minor scale, but there are several different minor scales. If you are a beginner, I doubt you will use most of these less common scales soon. The ones JMX mentions as drawn from the major scale will keep you busy a long time.