Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Artie, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Im pretty new and I've been reading about scales here and people mention like all the different scales and such like pentatonic and whatever, I thought that there was just A scale that went whole note, whole note, half note, whole note, whole note, whole note, half note. Sorry if IM missing something obvious I don't know too much about music theory so help is appreciated.
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    The scale you described is the major scale. It's one of the more common scales in music.

There are hundreds of different scales, each with its own sound and function in music.

I don't have any specific answers for you, since this is such a broad topic, but others will be along with more complete responses.
  3. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
  4. Am I supposed to be coming back to the root on all of them because IM not
    Like the MInor harmonic one is WHWWHb3 if I start on low F I go to G then G# then Bb then C then C# then Fb so am I not supposed to come back to F or is there some counting mistake. I can get back to the root with the major scale so IM not sure why I couldn't with this.
  5. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    YES,sorry if I ommited the last interval. For me it was obvious. I just wanted to show you the notes in each scale.
    You can actually practice them on 2 full octaves and coming back.
    Then use the cycle of fifths to play the next key.