Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rodrigocsm, Aug 22, 2001.

1. I get many scales and patterns on the internet. How do I choose which scale I use?
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I am going to assume that you are being serious, and that you are not only new to bass, but new to MUSIC in general.

You play the scale that corresponds to the song's key. Sometimes, you can play different scales (or modes) depending on the chord.

What are you choosing the scale for? For a song? For practice?
  3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yup yup yup like what Bass Guitar said.

If the songs in C then of course C major scale. If its like a Cmaj7 chord then C major scale again, but then when you go through the modes of the C major you will have minor scales, like on an Amin7 youd play an A (natural) minor scale, which is the Aeolian(sp?) mode.

I hope thats right.
  4. if you can, then get yourself a good teacher, even if you dodn't have a lesson every week you'll still benefit from it vastly

you could get a million different responces regarding sclaes, i don't fully understand them myself, not a lot of people here will admit that, but theres a lot more of us, i'm learnign myself.

arpeggios are a good place to look at

you know something, i' just wrote out the entire 7 points, excluding the octave for the major scale, i.e majC and there relevant arpeggios Maj7, minor, dominant(@5th) and b5 @7th and then i thought, he's not going to know what the hell i'm on about.

like i said get youself a teacher, or someone who can physically show you what to do, it'll save you a lot of time and trouble.

just remember, the major scale for C

you'll know what i mean in a year or so, it always helps you. except if you playing something with a flat, well, um ok,

5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But then if you're playing jazz, you're probably going to play a lot more dorian than aeolian.
  6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    All I've used and probably will only use from now on is the MAJOR SCALE!!!
    Cant beat it for punk-rock.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Try Lydian. You might like the raised 4th.
  8. WOW!! The relationship between scales and modes just clicked in my head! You gotta help me out though guys, how exactly do I tell what key a song is in?
  9. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thanks for reminding me of that. I read that somewhere in the "Jazz Theory Book" but I had forgoten it.

Oh about the key a song is in:

Id like to answer but Im kinda rusty on that I know this much for sure

no flats or sharps: C
    Bb: F
    Fsharp: G

Im not possitive as it goes on though so I wont post what I think it is to mislead you.

BTW I hope that was the answer you wanted.
  10. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i dont think he meant like C, D whatever. i think he meant like major, minor, pentatonic
    or maybe i should stick my head back up my ass
  11. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi Rodrigocsm, welcome to Talkbass.

Here's something that may be helpful to you in learning what scale you're using: The Circle of 5ths:

F- 1b
    Bb- 2b
    Eb- 3b
    Ab- 4b
    Db- 5b (C#- 7#)
    Gb- 6b (F#- 6#)
    Cb- 7b (B- 5#)
    E- 4#
    A- 3#
    D- 2#
    G- 1#
    C- 0# (0b)

These were written going counterclockwise around the circle. This will help you knowing what key you're in,etc.
  12. :D Hey man i'm really happy. There was so many replies for my message.
    I think I wasn't very clear. I know the Major and Minor Scales and think I play every time the penthatonic, cause I play in a blues band. Now I'm studying the penthatonic to improve my bass lines. What I want to know is if the scales and modes is related to the chord or the rhythm.

I agree with you tyburn I really need a teacher. I've been playing bass for 5 years and I never study. What I know I learned with pratice and a few books and videos. I'm trying to be a professiol musician and I think don't have the basic notions of the instrument, I "jump" stages.

Sorry for my English. I'm Brazilian.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    scales are modes are scales are modes.

they are related harmonically to chords.

rhythm, well is...ACK...

i use modes, generally, to navigate the neck.

in the key of C (no sharps or flats) i can play any of the C Major modes and stay in key...if you want to sound DIATONIC, then your safe.

as long as you pay attention to the chord tones on the strong beats, it works great!

in jazz, its fun to play e minor phrygian over a C Major chord. same scale tones as C Major and you're starting on the THIRD of C. makes your lines sound more developed than starting on the ROOT all the time...also known as ROOT HOPPING.

after a years of familiarizing yourself with all this stuff you toss it all and think chromatically.

learn melodies and chord scales (arpeggios). for soloing...modifying the melody is very effective.

learn beat subdivision too, in response to your rhythm comment.

tons more.