1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scaling down...and scaling right back up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 8, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This seems to be the cycle I'm in right now. Ever since discovering Markbass last year, I've been going back and forth with this, and I just can't seem to make up my mind.

I really have no need for anything other than the 12" combo. It sounds great, it's perfectly capable of filling a 1000 seat room with sound on its own (at least in the bands I'm in), and since I almost always run through the PA, I don't need it to fill up anything but the stage. And I love showing up with a bass, cable, and combo. I can get in and out of a gig as quick as a horn player.

But doggone it, I really like having a wall of sound behind me. Bigger cabs sound bigger, and two or more drivers adds a complexity of tone that you just can't get with a single-driver cab. And it has to be at least as tall as an SVT cab. I spent the last 9 years with a single 410. The audience got great tone. I got nothing. When I had the SVT, all of us were happy. Except me at the end of the night when it was teardown time.

I guess I should be happy that I'm able to have this choice. I spent a long time with only an SVT/810, and I got it back when they were cheap and nobody wanted them. So at least I have that going for me now. But common sense tells me that the big rig is wasted in a band where I can use a B-15 and have headroom ;) , and even though it doesn't sound quite the same, the combo does the job and does it great. No complaints at all.

But it's not a wall! I did my gigs this weekend with a wall, and even though it's a fairly light wall compared to an SVT cab, it added a good half hour to my setup and 20 minutes to teardown, but the tone....:bassist::bassist::bassist:

So I want to hear from you players who used to use walls and scaled down...do you spend as much time thinking about something that matters to absolutely nobody on earth when you could actually be doing something? :help:

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm in the process & if you want to scale up without weight killing you, I was blown away by the new Schroeder 610L at winter NAMM. Not as tall as an SVT cab, but it will put some real teeth behind you. It's deep, loud & fast(and light enought to throw, on a good day). I stood too close to it thumping an open E, and it felt like I got hit by a car. I'm waiting for Winter 09 NAMM to pull the trigger- if Accugroove came out with an 8x10 I would have to get one on general principal.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    EDIT: Due to an accident, my text is gone from this post, but I only vaguely remember it being an excuse to trot out a pic of my cherry B-15 stack anyway.

[​IMG] Free file hosting from File Den!

4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I see your dilemma. I go back and forth about my gear constantly. I personally believe in my case, it is a product of my own consumerism. I always want..want..want. Even though the newest configuration is never *perfect*, it fits a current desire. If money and space were no issue, I would have no issue constantly fueling my desires and always exchanging gear.

Since I am never in a content state anyway, I am trying to move my soul to a position of happiness with less instead of more.

Going from room to room every night I am finding there is never a rig that suits all situations. One can be unhappy with much and yet just as unhappy with less. The more options you have the greater the risk of second guessing the option you didn't choose.

I'm not sure where i heard this but...Nowadays when one buys a pair of jeans there are many options. Loose fit, comfort fit, boot cut, baggy fit, relaxed fit etc. There are so may choices that selecting the best fit is very difficult. If I choose the baggy fit and a week later I realize I didn't select the *perfect* jeans. I am left to lament the wrong choice I made purchasing the jeans. I may even feel stupid for not choosing the right ones, then once again go a spend more money in the hunt for the perfection that is just an illusion. The more choices one has the greater the chance of feeling the wrong selection was made after the fact.

5. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    deep:atoz:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jeans I have no problem with. I buy Wranglers at WalMart ;)

But you're right. It's like a dog with two bones...which one will it chew on first? I've seen my dog make himself crazy over it.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I think the only option left to you is the Markbass 8x10.

:grin:

8. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Just like James Jamerson with "the hook" or any other great players you can mention, one bass, and one amp is all you need. You can shop 24/7 for the next best thing or great deal, but ya gotta work on the chops. More gear than talent is a frequent admission on this site. Give me my membership number for that club! Harmless pursuit if you enjoy and can afford it though. There are rich folks that collect Picassos, some of us collect basses. The world goes round on it's axis regardless.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Now see, you'd think I would know better. I've been playing pro for 32 years now. And I spent 15 of those years with one bass, one amp. But now I make decent money at it and I want to enjoy myself a little more. Funny how the money started coming in better right around the time I joined Talkbass. If one of those events hadn't happened, I doubt we'd be having this conversation at all.

10. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I use two 2-10 Avatar Neos stacked vertically (thanks Jimmy) , so I got "the wall" sound - plus easy setup and teardown.

Use your combo and set it up on (or under?) another nice cab like a 2-10 or another 12 maybe? :hyper:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Glad you're digging the setup. Never owned it but I would love to. But that will have to wait for the next decade, according to my wife. I don't think I want an extension cab for the combo, though. I used to use a B-15 cab with it for a little while but it defeated the whole purpose of why I bought the combo in the first place.

12. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    True, but I bet even just another lightweight 1-12 cab would sound pretty sweet with your Markbass, and wouldn't really be much more to set up.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Really, though, my B-15 setup isn't all that heavy or bulky. They're pretty small for 15" cabs. It's just in comparison with how I can fly in and out with the combo. My issue is probably more related to time and annoyance factor than mere bulk at this point.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I get a decent 'wall' with my UL115 + UL112 + LMII. Total cab weight 73LBS. Since they are both light weight it is very easy to load in and out of my toyota. I put the 115 in the front passenger seat and the 112 in the back seat (child seat takes up the other spot). If I had more room in the car I'd use two UL115s. Beautiful sounding cabs.

Here's the rig with a shuttle 6

TorinandEpifani_ShuttleRig.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi there. I've found that if the rig is satisfying me I don't turn around until the end of a set except to smile and say da@# that sounds good. It's big enough if it sounds big enough..... without looking at it.

16. I never used full 'walls', but had scaled down to smaller cabs way back when due to weight issues (since there really were no lightweight cabs, small or large, that sounded good to me until about 6 or so years ago). However, with the wonderful sounding, lightweight 212 and 410 (or multiple 210) cabs out there since the early 2000's, I have no need to compromise my tone due to weight and 'wanting easy schleps'. My single 4 ohm 60 or so pound 410's (with castors), along with various 500-600 watt 4-6 pound heads sound better to me (and are just as loud) as any monster rig I've used in the past, and results in a very easy, simple one trip/one person schlep.

You might try some of the newer 410's or 212 cabs. You might be surprised. I have VERY good luck with stage monitoring with my 410's and 212's. If you want it taller, just get two 210's stacked horizontally. Quite frankly, since you like that MB 112 combo so much, I'd consider swapping it for the 210 combo. The tilt-back design results in great near field monitoring, and the low end will open up and relax for you, giving you more of the 'feeling' of a larger rig that you are looking for. IMO and IME! Also, just adding a 112 extension cab to your current combo would make a HUGE difference in open low end and that feeling of 'fullness' that you are looking for.

I've never found a single 12 that made me happy at any volume for the reason you suggest. The volume is OK in many situations, but the 'feel' is not right, and the compression that occurs when you push it really sounds unpleasant to me.

17. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Here is the 'JimmyM answer.' The answer that I'd get if I posed the question.

SUCK IT UP!!! ;)

Would you rather be happy for the 30 minutes that it takes to load in, or would you rather be happy for the 4 hours that you're playing the gig.

If I could get away (volume wise) with bringing my B15N to every gig, I wouldn't be complaining. Now, get off my lawn. ;)

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you don't need to bring a huge rig, don't do it!

if i could, i would have my 2x210 cabs and small head.

19. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    A lightweight combo on a vertical 210 is a beautiful thing, especially if the 210 has casters.

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Rather than get a MB 210 combo, I'd suggest a 15 ext cab (maybe MB if you like 'em). The 12/15 will be miles ahead of the 112 and you'll still have the grab'n'carry option.