Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scallaping a fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Sep 27, 2004.

1. What does scallaping a fret board do?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Make it look wierd....

No, but seriously, in terms of what? Playability, look, feel?

3. like, what does it change? Yeah like Tone, playabilty, and all that stuff.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, basically you make the areas between the frets concave. On guitars, this supposedly makes it faster to play, and it doesn't require a lot of force to fret a note. Actually, if you use too much force, it will make the note go out of tune. So, this is generally used by shreders, and lead players, and not so great for chording, though it is entirely possible. It just requires a bit more control.

5. cool. I'm thinking about gettin a cheap Pbass and scalloping the fretboard. Maybe I'll be able to play at billy sheehan ;)

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    scalloped neck = hair band.

went out of style 1989. possibly the only thing grunge contributed to music overall was the long overdue death of crap metal/hair/men dressed as women/scalloped fingerboard bands. ;)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats probably not the best idea as most cheap basses have very thin fretboards and you will end up going through the fretboard before you get much of a scallop on it.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Part of the problem is also the width of the spaces in between the frets. They are very large at the top end of the neck, so scalloping will not have too much effect.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't do it. There is a pic on the net that shows what a guitar looks like with a jury-rigged scallop. It doesn't even look playable anymore.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    post a link, I am interested to see how this home-brew scallop looks.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never heard of people scalloping a bass and having it be helpful. Ive mainly seen guitarist/shredders scallop the upper frets of their guitars for easier shredding.

12. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    This isn't a homebrew scallop, it's a professional job, but it looks pretty extreme to me.

http://www.whitsettguitarworks.com/frame17.jpg

Shannon

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Doesn't the Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude model have some scalloped areas? I'm sure at least the first versions of this bass had that feature.

Wulf

14. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Scalloping a fretboard works best for guitars...

John McLaughlin did this, to simulate the sound and feel of a sitar, which basically has no fretboard at all....

You can push up and down on the string and get a pitch bend or whammy bar effect very easily.

I would not suggest doing it on a bass at all.

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's an Attitude bass - you can see the scalloping on the highest frets under the D and G strings. This is an earlier model from Bass Central; I'm not sure if the feature is still offered on the current production model (Yamaha certainly don't make a big thing of it on their site and the pictures weren't large enough:

[​IMG]

Wulf

16. YUK! YUK! YUK! (Did I say, "YUK"?)

DON'T, please don't go and ruin a perfectly good fretboard with scallops! Use jumbo frets and be done with it.

17. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I doubt it'll do much difference on a bass.... at least i don't push the string all the wayto the fretboard even with a normal bass. A big hassle out of nothing, i think.

But it works on guitar due to the lighter strings. Actually, that's a matter of taste too... Tells quite a lot that for example Steve Vai doesn't use it (I think :meh: ) and Yngwie Malmsteen does.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I saw it years ago in the hell that is Mxtabs.net.

I will not go back there ever again. Everything that people hate about arrogant guitarists is personified a thousand times over.

Also that place is full of bad advice out the wazoo. Like playing semitones in between the notes on a fretless. Or that music is only good if it has a good guitar solo in it. "Best" Threads are posted every five minutes and people actually argue about the abilities of musicians they have never met and half the time know very little about.

I would do a google image search for "scalloped fretboard messup" or something similar if you are interested.

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I guess it depends what you want to play with it...

[​IMG]

music is probably out of the question. :rollno:

20. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Yes, the newest attitude basses still have scalloping. Billy has said that he got them to get under the string when bending and to lessen the force to press the strings down at speed because it get's hard to play fast and articulate when it's so cramped up there. When he bends the 21st fret (his highest) he can get up to a G. Oh, and he said it helps him know when he's reaching the end of the fretboard becuases he's usually not looking.
    It's seems like a good idea but don't scallop the whole neck. You'll be taking off too much mass and your bass will sound wimpier. And also you'll get more fretwear, if you play it incorrectly.