Scalloped Fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agyeman, Sep 8, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
  2. I dont think there would be much of a purpose for one on bass, as there is on guitar. It'd be pretty interesting to see though.

Scalloped fretboards are like they are so that you never actully touch the fingerboard, and therefore you must have extramly soft touch, because the slightest extra amount of pressre, the note(s) will go sharp, due to you bending the string. They're extreamly useful for bending strings, due to no friction from the wood on the fingerboard, kinda like the concept of jumbo frets, but instead of sacraficing speed like you do wiht jumbo frets, i believe you can do lightning fast runs on it due to the nessacary lighter touch.

(please excuse the spelling errors, i just woke up)
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yeah, Scalloped allows easier and higher bends, but requiere a big modification to your technique.
    I really dont recommend that for bass, unless you use scallops only at the very high frets "ala Billy Sheehan"

Intonanion goes off, specially if you play chords. On the guitar the same applies.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i never really cared for shellfish on my fretboard.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    On a bass with modern (jumbo) frets you basically have something like a scalloped fretboard, since the strings hardly ever touch the fretboard.
  6. JMX makes the material point...

As far as guitars are concerned, you can do fun things like bending entire chords, but interestingly Malmsteen is on record as saying that the scallops actually require a higher action.....and slow him down (in Dan Erlewine's book. Erlewine doesn't agree with him).
  7. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Hey JMX! Great signature, man.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree! That is so true.:)
  9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    RE: JMX's sig - HAH! What a prophet he was! :)