Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scalloping an acoustic guitar fretboard??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Feb 16, 2003.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey,
    I just bought a $30 acoustic guitar off of eBay to try an experiment. I dig the band Shakti with John McLaughlin and his acoustic has the entire fretboard scalloped to get those cool "indian" microtones.
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to scallop the board? I will be using a dremal tool and do my best to scallop them equally. But should I put some sort of laquer on the board afterwards or what? Also, how far down should I scallop?
    It's kind of an experiment again so whatever
    peace
    chris:bassist:

2. i fail to see how scalloping a fretboard will help you get microtones. :confused:

3. You can bend notes with finger pressure alone, rather than stretching the string laterally. You can either use this like McLaughlin for getting non-Western notes, or like Yngwie Malmsteen for pressure-only vibrato.

4. i don't know. have you ever tried bending the string by pressing it down past the fret? it's incredibly hard. especially on acoustic. scalloping would help with access theoretically, but your fingers would still be bleeding. as far as i know malmsteen just uses it to play with a lighter touch.

5. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Yes scalloping a fretboard makes it easier to get microtones by using pressure rather than bending the string up or down.
    and while it may hurt at first (since we are bass players and we use "real men" strings instead of "girly skinny strings"). that's what callouses are for!! build them up!!!!!!!!
    so far, no help in how to scallop!!

peace