Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scalloping Frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 30, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I saw that Billy Sheehan did it and I scalloped the upper frets on one of my basses, really came in handy for those high-up metal solos. Did this a while ago, but am I the only crazed bassist running around with scalloped frets?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im sure there are more but im not one of them. What exactly do you mean by scalloped though? Have pics?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, with today's jumbo frets the strings don't touch the fingerboard anyway, so scallopping a neck is pretty redundant IMO.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Notice how the wood between the frets has been removed? That's scalloping.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O i get it now.. Now i understand JMX< and yea i think thats pointless.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I do a lot of string bending, and I really don't like the jumbo frets...I prefer smaller, more vintage sized frets.

7. I read something about that in a guitar setup book. What's the point, especially on a bass where the strings don't touch the fingerboard?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With strings that thick, it's nice to get the string in a good spot to make bending much easier.

9. easier bends, plus its not the same ol same old

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Easier to say 'bite me' to a guitarist :D And even easier when you scallop a bass with a tremolo :D

11. Yes, the scalloped frets come in handy way up high. Less tension to bend as there isn't any wood to hamper the movement.

I also have a Yngwie Strat and that is a RIOT to play!

12. your deffinetly not the only one. i started doing some of mine, then i realized, "o **** rosewood is toxic! :eek: " i look down and im totally covered in sawdust as is the floor, desk, tv, and to top it all of my dog :bawl: . needless to say i cleaned it all up and everyone is ok. just remember to be carefull

13. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Why anyone would want to rub smelly shellfish on their frets is beyond me.

Yeah, I know...

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Had to think twice about that one. LOL!

Nice one, Bud!

15. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Please don't say that the frets are scalloped. It's the fingerboard that's scalloped. It is probably only useful on a bass that has very low action combined with very light gauge strings. This would allow more room for bending notes during a solo. The only benefit for most players would be a "coolness" factor.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
  17. I don't see much point to it on my bass, since the strings are so thick and easy to get a grip on. Plus it's fretless. It's great on guitars though.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC