scallops anyone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, May 31, 2005.

1. i got a rather cheap bass neck that i dont really use very much, its already all taken apart to paint it, so i was thinking about scalloping the frets, but i dont know the best way to go about it. can anyone help me out with this?
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd suggest if you want it done and can't figure out how, get someone who's done it before to do it for you. I've seen several photos of horribly disfigured fretboards from ill fated atempts at this. (can't find them right now.)
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    foolish me I didn't know that was done to basses...t
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Billy Sheehan has it on the upper frets only of some of his basses. I wouldn't recommend doing it without a well-reinforced neck, since removing that wood can have a significant impact on the neck stiffness.
  5. seems to me it defeats the purpose of having scallops to do it on the upper frets, the strings dont touch the fretboard up there
  6. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Nor do they touch at the lower frets. I've never understood the need for scalloped frets on a bass.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I always assumed that it was to do sitar-style press-bends, so you could simultaneously do a bend sharp, and tear up your frets!

Maybe jaguarcat can explain to us what the intended effect is.
  8. on the lower frets, unless you have giant frets, you probably have to press the strings down fairly hard, cause they hit the fretboard before the strings are pressed hard enough onto the frets to play it without buzzing, now, when theres nothing to press against, it makes your action much faster, cause you dont have to press against the fretboard. does that make any sense?

9. That's not the case with my technique at all.