1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scam Alert?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Altitude, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have my Ashdown MK500 listed for sale on this board and also on Denver Craigslist. I received the below response to the Craigslist ad. Something about it is setting off my spider sense, but I can't put my finger on what it is:

First contact:
    Hello seller,
    I saw your advert placed on craigslist and i would like to make an inquiry about it if still available.....I also would like to know it`s condition and the last price is going for.I am willing to buy as soon as possible. kindly get back to me if its still available. Thanks, while awaiting your positive response.

I replied that the amp is in excellent condition.

Next contact:

Hello,
    Glad you still have the item ready for sale and that
    its in mint condition, So i am sending you the payment
    for the item by Certified Check or Money orders first thing
    tomorrow and it will get to you before the week
    runs down, Am okay with the price, I will issue $700. so as soon as you receive the check just
    inform me so that the my shipper can come to your
    location to pick the item up to my address.
    Below is the information needed to issue the check out to
    you....
    1....Your name and full contact address to send the check to
    2....Your mobile and land line number to reach you.
    I will be expecting your mail. This is my number XXX XXX XXXX [he did give his number; I have deleted it here]
    Thanks.

I said:

Before we go any further - I must insist that the check you send to me clears before I release the product to you or any agent acting on your behalf. Would you still like to move forward?

He said:

Hello Will! it`s very okay by me. Let`s proceed. I will tell my secretary to send you the payment today. Forward me your full infos.
    Thanks

Again, as I have said, I can detect nothing outwardly illegitimate about this, especially since he is willing to allow the funds to clear. But something about it seems wrong to me.

Can anyone see something in this that I don't?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If he is OK with you waiting for the check to clear, I don't see any issues. I'd be a little hesitant about letting a stranger come to your house (with all of your personal info) to get the amp, however. A public meeting place would be safer for you. On the surface it looks like the only thing this guy is guilty of is bad grammer and heightened anticipation.

3. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    hmmm... I think he may just be an overexuberant buyer (as we all tend to be, ;)

But the whole information thing... I dunno. Ask him if he is comfortable with money orders, if he SAYS no, then its probably fishy.

Sorry, guess he offered money orders. Tell him you arent comfortable with givig the info, and to meet him at a public place.

4. Smells pretty damn scammy to me.

Is the number local?

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Scam, totally!

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I'd bet money it's a scam.

Notice how he never mentions the name Ashdown or MK500 in the emails? Classic scammer material right there.

7. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It was not local. Baltimore, I am in Denver.

8. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Many of the scammers write things like that where they don't actually say what the item is but refer to it as "the item". If I understand this scam correctly the money will post to your account and then the bank will take it back later when the scam unfolds. If you do go through with it make your bank personally assure you the check has been paid as opposed to just having the funds made available.

This is classic scam style, I would not give them a personal address. I'll also bet their email is a free account.

Read the warnings from Craigslist
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

9. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Scam. I get a response like that every time I post something on Craigslist. Very generic questions and a willingness to bend over backwards while sounding very important. I wouldn't give out my personal info and would only accept cash from such an offer. They have even found a way to duplicate US Postal Money Orders so nothing is safe. By the time it catches up to you, you are usually out the money and the merchandise. Stay clear dude!

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole ... he never once calls the for sale item by its name ... it is a generic letter which consistently refers to 'the item' ... I would just drop it, and say, thanks, but no thanks ... but, if you want to pursue it, or even play with him a bit ... ask him what else he has for gear, what is he gonna use the 'item' with ... or even tell him that it runs on 220, not 110, and ask if that is a problem ... if he is still interested you know you have him ...

Edit to add: Penguin, we were writing the same thing at the same time ...

11. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    SCAM!

Do not do this , it's an old running scam .They will send you a check .It will be for more than stated. You will deposit it .you will be asked to send part of it back as an over payment . It will bounce. Because you signed and deposited it , making it YOUR check ,will have to cover the whole amount. Once you sign a check and deposit or cash it it becomes your responsibility , I know , my paycheck used to bounce and it was my problem not the banks or my employers.If you google enough you will find all kinds of info on it.

13. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    I get these emails all the time when I put items for sale on craigsists. "I saw your advert.." They rarely mention the item for sale.

The first time I received one, I replied saying that I would only accept a money order or Paypal. They responded, saying they could only pay with a check. Obviously, that's where the discussion ended.

I'd just ignore it.

14. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Just send me your bank acount information and credit card number and I'll let you know if it's a scam or not.;)

Total scam!

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I got the same spiel, exactly, cut & pasted, exact wording when I listed an amp and cab on the Austin craigslist. Was leary right away with the broken english and vague descriptions. They're fishing for a sucker. Got emails from all kinds of people saying it's a pretty common thing, just ignore it and click their emails as spam. I hate that crap.

16. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Thanks, everyone. This guy didn't offer to send a check for more than the purchase price, at least not yet. Still, I felt like there was a problem in there somewhere. I appreciate the counsel and will ignore the guy.

-Will

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  18. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM
    I've seen this all too many times, and it makes me sick every time.

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It's a scam. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was running an add in the Recycler On Line, a local classified paper in So. California. The wording in the email he sent is exactly the same as yours.

I told the guy I would not ship out of the country and he sent the money order anyway. He then pleaded with me to cash it and send him the money even though I told him I wouldn't send him the amp. He even went as far as offering me 50% of the money for my trouble if I would cash the money order and send him half.

Here's how it works. The money order is fraudulent but it looks good enough to fool most banks. The money order will say it's drawn on a US bank though. It takes a while for the system catches up. The money order will clear at first and you will send the gear and the rest of the money because he will send it for more than the amount. When everything catches up your gear will be gone, the money will be gone and you will be responsible to the bank.

I have all of the emails saved.