Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scam Alert!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by mark beem, Jun 19, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    received this email last night supposedly from Best Buy alerting me of a suspicious order placed at their website.. Since I have no account with Best Buy and have not provided any information to them I immediately became suspicous. Here is the email I received:

Upon checking the Best Buy website I found this on the homepage"

Check out the Best Buy website for more info.. http://www.bestbuy.com

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    There is a similar eBay fraud going on-- I've gotten two of the messages which look very legitimate and seem to do all the right things. It claims that your eBay invoice was not paid because the card authorization was rejected. It eventually takes you to a non-eBay site where you enter credit card info.

I think it is important to never click on links provided in any email address, but type in the legitimate site address and navigate to verify or disprove the email's claims. These bastards are getting more creative and competent at these scams.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I've always chuckled at these emails, til my wife asked me about one, she thought it sounded important and would have clicked it if I hadn't tackled her first. That's when I realized that intelligent people really can fall prey to this stuff. Things everyone should do for security's sake (a rehash of things you've probably heard, but what the hay):

1. Have your antivirus software scan both in-coming and outgoing mail, and set it to auto-delete suspicious files. I like Norton's best. Make sure you've set it to automajically update virus definitions at least once a week.

2. Don't use auto-preview, virus' can be launched in auto-preview mode.

3. Use a client other than Outlook Express if you can. Not that the software is bad, it's just the biggest target of script kiddies. Read your email in plain text, not html. HTML is code, code is bad in emails.

4. If you don't recognize the address, delete before opening. If it truly was important, they'll call you.

5. Use at least a software firewall like Zonealarm, which prompts you when any program tries to access the net, or access your computer. If you don't recognize the program, select "No". Be wary of creative program names that sound like microsoft.blahblah or winthis.exe or macthat.exe, old hacker's trick. Free firewall: www.zonealarm.com . Dial-uppers should use it too. A hardware firewall is best, meaning buy a router. Routers are hard to hack thru because they're dumb. The smart move is to use both soft and hardware firewalls.

6. Run Adaware every week. It's a free adware/spyware eliminator, at www.adaware.com . Also delete all cookies in your temporary internet files folder frequently.

7. Fear file attachments with a ".exe" extension, delete them fast.

8. Visit windows update (or the Mac equivelant) frequently. Most updates are security related, you want them. Only get your security updates from the actual Windows Update site, don't respond to pop-ups or emails that say you're not secure. Windows or Mac will never email a security update.

This is the basic security list, there is more you can do but this stuff should cover you pretty well.

I did however receive an email with the topic "Mr. Sprague, enlarge your breasts now", but it was from Nick with no attachments so I read it.:D

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thanks for the info.. However, this was not a virus.. It was an attempt to get personal and financial information.. Identity theft..

In this instance it'd probably be better to check the company's website as I did... There was a BIG announcement at the top of the page about this scam.

5. I've gotten a couple of emails supposedly from "paysecurity@paypal.com" saying "This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months." and wanting me to give complete credit-card information PLUS my ATM Pin# "for bank verification".

What ticks me off is that I've sent two emails to PayPal and not heard anything back.

FWIW, I got an email from BestBuy.com that was the warning from their website, pretty much word-for-word, though I didn't get one of the emails it was warning about.

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I've done a lot of buying over the net and have never had any problems. I'm quite computer literate, which is an asset not everyone has, BUT common sense should come into play.

As far as I'm concerned, a vendor has one chance to get my credit card information in a transaction. Sometimes (more often than it should), a post will hang (i.e., you'll fill in the form, hit return, and watch things foul up somehow.) Then it's time to use e-mail or the phone to confirm what the hell happened.

No reputable vendor will ever approach you after the fact, for any reason, to get credit/personal information.

It doesn't matter how official the presentation of the request is, it's no different than someone approaching you on the street and asking to have a look at your wallet. Maybe a drummer might hand it over, but surely not we bass players....

I still have the willies leaving my credit card info in a database somewhere, but I've done it. Watch those statements!

BTW, I was just reading in the paper today about a guy found guilty in a British Columbia or Alberta court (somewhere in western Canada, could even have been here.) Described as an longtime conman in his 60's, he'd been running the Nigerian "free the money" scam, and the paper said he'd bilked $6 million out of it! Hard to believe. He got 18 months probation....

7. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Now that is amazing.

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    There are far more sophisticated scams-- I lost $2500 to Enron.

What I want to know is, why are they chasing Martha Stewart when they should be jailing Kenneth Lay??

Political connections are today's Get Out Of Jail cards.

9. Thanks for the security info, John. Have a router, didn't know about Zonealarm or Adaware. Will download.

Is this a great site, or what?

10. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Indeed it is Eric, especially with guys like webmeister Bob G. attending regularly.

What bothers me about that particular scam is that the title is good enough to get you to open it. So many people are still running without a good anti-virus program that a hacker kiddie could use a title like that to launch a virus from and have some measure of success.

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The one I have is AVG.. It's by far the best anti-virus program I've ever seen.. It's free also.

It can be downloaded here: www.grisoft.com