Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sCam Cash Robelli fretless: Yow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eli, Feb 23, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I must officially post my opinion that the Robelli fretless is a really decent value bass for those looking to step into the world of fretless.

The one I played was set up REALLY well (admittedly a surprise) and it played like BUTTAH. Very low action, very fast, very responsive. Really surprising growl and mwah, nice strings on it. The fingerboard is composite, adding to the brightness. And it's like 30 "frets" -- all the way up to high C on the G string. That's the same range as my 24-fret 6-string! Didn't have a stunning amount of low end, but that's not what it's shooting for.

The only trick for a first-time fretless player would be the absence of side marker dots. Well, there are two: at 12th and 24th position! I'd probably add some with White-Out, at least at 5 , 7, and 19.

All told, for $250, ya gotta consider it. But be sure you play the one you're gonna take first -- a couple of the other Robelli basses I played had serious electronics problems like a volume pot that rotated continuously, and bad output jacks. So there may be quality issues. But as long as you get one that works, this thing appears to be a pretty good value.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is one of the two bargain fretlesses I've been talking about for a while now...nice to see someone actually pick one up and play it. The only problem I had was with the absence of normal side markers. That bass is a bargain.

The other "steal" is the Cort Artisan B4FL, even though it's almost :eek: twice the price...at $450;)
    These basses blew away several much more expensive fretlesses I've played.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd be VERRRYYY CAREFUL about buying a Carlo Robelli. I used to work @ Sam Ash & for every 1 good one there were 10 that had to be repaired or trashed!!! I'm talking about right out of the box!!! If you are really thinking about buying one, play the heck out of it @ the store & be SURE it's a good one.

4. Another quality fretless that is cheap is the Yamaha RBX260. I have one, it has an alder body and it sounds pretty good too. I put in a Basslines Quarter Pounder in it and it has pretty good output. I think they only cost about $280! I like mine a lot...

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Carlo Robelli or Yamaha...
    Well, I played a Robelli last week. It felt and sounded fairly nice, except the slippery, sweaty plastic finger board. Yach!!
    I also played a Yam, couldn't find any model marks. It felt and sounded fairly nice, except the rosewood fingerboard, that, though I'd prefere an unlined board, was just LOVELY!
    Wooden fingerboard, please.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Robelli fretless I played felt great. My hands don't sweat. I guess it could be an issue if yours do. I've played the Yamaha fretlesses and didn't think they really compared tonally. YMMV

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Please excuse a non-anglo.... What is YMMV?

8. YYMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Which means, you may get different results.

FF.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nothing bad;)