Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scam emails...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    I have two basses for sale here on talkbass, and I have been receiving weird emails from a few persons that they are very intested in the basses, i got two emails from a guy from spain, one for each bass, asking me what was the final price and the current condition of the basses but he asked me to send the basses then he would send me a "certified check" once the basses were confirmed as sent I responded to the email but never got any reply.

Then I got a different email from a female actually she told me she was very interested in a bass I was selling, I replied to the email explaining what I would prefer paypal, but she replied saying thank you for my quick response and she asked me for all my personal information full name, complete address, my house and mobile number, in order for her to send a cashiers check with the final amount in US dollars, and then after the confirmation of receiving the payment, the "shipper" this person chose would come and pick the item at my house, the person also said that she doesnt want me to look for another buyer. I replied to the email asking for more info about this person but I havent received any response yet.

what shall I do? just block this persons and dont reply to any emails of this kind? both of the addresses were from yahoo

2. Yes, it's a scam.
    I posted my Amp and bass for sale on Bassgear.com
    and recieved the identical email you decribed above.
    Twice actually. From two different females from the U.K. using the same exact verbage, asking for all my personal info. That's what cought my attention...coupled with the fact that these two seperate emails (one for the bass, one for the amp) seemed as if they were written by the same person. Red flag...Bogus!
    I responded with the usual transaction-like questions but didn't hear back.

It's BS man. Don't bother. Block 'em.

If you look on craigslist.com (after you put something up for sale)...the website tells you of some warning signs to look for. This email you speak of is pretty much the "poster boy" scam email that craigslist tries to bring to a seller's attention.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    the spain one is obviously a scam.

the lady, why not? if i had someone visiting the area i would ask them to pick up a bass a bought too anyway. dont give all that information tho, it sounds tricky. if she pays up then there probably isnt anything wrong, is there?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, this one is a standard-issue scam that many of us get bothered with. I read a report recently that there are large "telemarketing"-type offices in parts of Africa and the former Soviet states where all they do is comb the classified ads in the US looking for potential ripoff targets and send emails to the sellers. Apparently there are enough suckers/uninformed people out there for the scam to be a thriving business model. And don't believe the cashier's check deal- it's a complete fraud!

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
  6. There are also plenty of phoney and stolen money orders and cashier's checks out there. Just because they initially clear your bank does not mean they will not eventually kick back on you. I posted something to the sticky in one of the classified sections about one way to verify money orders. If I am given a money order, my rule is to not give out the gear (ship) until I can verify that the money order has cleared back to the issuer. If someone has a check or money order that cannot be verified or they do not want to wait till everything has cleared, I don't want to deal with them.

Peace,
    S

7. About a month ago I contacted the Postal Inspectors office regarding cashing Postal Money Orders. I had assumed that if I cashed a PMO at the Post Office it had 'cleared'. I was surprised to find out that although they 'should' catch a fraudulent PMO when its presented at the PO, if they discover later that its bogus they can come after YOU for the money. The kicker is that they may also decide to INVESTIGATE YOU for fraud, since you're the person who tried to cash it!

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'd say the Yahoo.com e-mail addresses are a dead giveaway. Yahoo is a scammer's favorite tool.

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Now they're on talkbass? Ugh....:scowl:

10. Lebowski

Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The last time I posted on bassgear.com, I got 2 scam emails. One came from the UK-at least, the person said they were in the UK. This of course, after I said in my ads local sale only, items too heavy to ship!! I said emails from foreign countries would be deleted. Still got them.

IMHO, if the person can't come to get the item, or if you can't go a certain distance to meet them, it's probably not worth doing. With all the internet scams out there, it's just too risky to do it any other way. Again, this is only my opinion.

But in response to the first post-yep, these are scams!! Block them out, and do not reply.

12. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    hey man!
    thats exactly what happend to me!
    but i gave my mobile number and address, but not my actual door number, then he sent me a cheque for 4000 euros and said that he didnt want to buy my 600 euros bass , he just wanted to cash the cheque in my bank account and a guy would come to pick up half the money and i could keep the other half.
    when the letter with the cheque arrived it had Nigerian stamps on it!
    obviously i think what they do is time it so it looks like its going to clear and then someone comes to get half the money and you basically get nothing.